WA R WOUNDED
On October 27, 1914 The Manor House was opened, with just a few hours notice, as a hospital for wounded Belgian soldiers. Initially there were 20 beds and the community rallied around to help, as with only 2/6 per day given by the War Office for maintenance, there was no other financial help. Helpers came in from the village to wash up, mend clothes and do laundry. The last Belgian patient left on July 5 1915 but from 3 April that year wounded British troops started to arrive and the hospital was enlarged to 35, then 50 beds. The panelled dining room was used as a recreation room and there are photographs which show patients playing croquet on the lawn.
The hospital closed on January 17, 1919. A total of 412 patients had passed through its doors, of whom only one died and was buried at the village church.