Mo­tor­cy­cle en­thu­si­ast mis­took bike cleaner for soft drink

South Wales Echo - - News - KATIE-ANN GUPWELL Re­porter [email protected]­

A MO­TOR­CY­CLE en­thu­si­ast died after drink­ing a clean­ing prod­uct he mis­took for a soft drink.

Lang­don Wayne Doidge, 59, died on Au­gust 27 this year after ac­ci­den­tally drink­ing what he thought was a soft drink after a night out.

An in­quest held on Thurs­day at Pon­typridd Coro­ner’s Court was told Mr Doidge kept a di­luted al­ka­line so­lu­tion – called Beer Line cleaner – in his fridge in or­der to clean parts of his mo­tor­cy­cle.

But after a night out it’s be­lieved he re­turned to his home in Cardiff Bay, where he lived alone, and ac­ci­den­tally mis­took the prod­uct for a bot­tle of Ribena.

The in­quest heard Mr Doidge owned var­i­ous ho­tels in Cardiff in­clud­ing the Lang­dons Ho­tel in Roath.

A state­ment was read on be­half of his son, Lewis Doidge, who last saw his fa­ther the day be­fore he was taken to hospi­tal.

Mr Doidge ex­plained he an­swered a call from the UHW on Au­gust 8 and was told his fa­ther had been ad­mit­ted to hospi­tal.

At the hear­ing Mr Doidge was asked some ques­tions about his fa­ther’s daily rou­tine. He said his fa­ther would usu­ally have been “plod­ding around the house”.

The in­quest also heard he would usu­ally visit the pub at around 4pm each day.

Giv­ing ev­i­dence at the hear­ing, Mr Doidge said: “He usu­ally comes home at 2am but if he goes into town he would stay out. He loved to go out.

“He was usu­ally up by around 6am or 6.30am if he wanted to go to work that day.”

The in­quest was told Lang­don Doidge called the Welsh Am­bu­lance Ser­vice twice on the morn­ing of Au­gust 8.

He ini­tially called at 4.02am and then called later at 4.46am after an am­bu­lance had failed to turn up.

A clin­i­cian later called him back at 4.50am to con­firm a taxi had been ar­ranged to col­lect him and take him to the hospi­tal. The in­quest heard a taxi was dis­patched at around 5am.

Lewis Doidge said: “My fa­ther would bring clean­ing prod­ucts from work home. I use it to clean me­tal.

“He then went on to clean the mo­tor­bike with it but you’re meant to keep it in a cool place other­wise the re­ac­tion process doesn’t work.”

Fol­low­ing the in­ci­dent mo­tor­cy­cle parts were found on the kitchen work­top at the home of Mr Doidge. A glass was also dis­cov­ered that con­tained pur­ple residue.

A state­ment from Po­lice Con­sta­ble Kerry Thomas Young de­scribed what of­fi­cers found in Lang­don Doidge’s fridge when they vis­ited his home in the af­ter­math of his death.

“There was an opened bot­tle of Ribena cor­dial along­side an­other Robin­son’s bot­tle,” said PC Young.

The in­quest heard Lewis Doidge would of­ten give his fa­ther a lift in the morn­ings if he wanted to go to work.

He would travel from his home in Roath to col­lect his fa­ther and the jour­ney would usu­ally take around 20 min­utes. But he ex­plained it was un­usual for him to call at other times.

“He never called me,” he added. “Even when he was out drink­ing – never in my life. It was only if he wanted to go to work in the morn­ing.

“I un­der­stand if you’re in that sort of state I sup­pose you would ring an am­bu­lance. If I was in trou­ble I would ring an am­bu­lance.”

The fam­ily of Mr Doidge raised con­cerns about the length of time the Welsh Am­bu­lance Ser­vice took to ar­rive at the prop­erty.

The in­quest heard the rea­son a taxi was booked to take him to hospi­tal was be­cause the other am­bu­lance ve­hi­cles were al­ready in use.

When Mr Doidge called a sec­ond time Welsh Am­bu­lance Ser­vice worker Sarah Woods re­alised he needed to be taken to hospi­tal as his symp­toms seemed to have wors­ened.

Giv­ing ev­i­dence at the hear­ing she said: “When I did speak to Mr Doidge he was breath­ing and talk­ing.

“Be­fore I re­turned the call I didn’t know what the al­ka­line was so I had to re­search what it was to as­sess what treat­ment was re­quired.

“He didn’t com­plain that he had prob­lems breath­ing. He did say he had been vom­it­ing and bring­ing some blood up.

“I was cer­tain he needed to be brought into hospi­tal.”

Even though there was a de­lay the in­quest heard it was un­likely to have had an im­pact on his death.

Mr Doidge died in hospi­tal later that month.

Coro­ner Sarah Richards con­cluded Mr Doidge’s death was a re­sult of mis­ad­ven­ture.

She said: “Mr Lang­don Wayne Doidge was a mo­tor­cy­cle en­thu­si­ast who in­haled al­ka­line as­so­ci­ated with clean­ing prod­ucts.

“He re­turned home after an evening of drink­ing and drank the al­ka­line after mis­tak­ing it for a soft drink.

“He was ad­mit­ted to hospi­tal but sus­tained multi-or­gan fail­ure and died of his in­juries.”

MRI scan­ners, pros­thetic breasts for can­cer pa­tients and im­prove­ments to hip re­place­ments have been cited among the best in­no­va­tions in health by uni­ver­si­ties in the UK.

Health fea­tured heav­ily on the Univer­sity UK’s (UUK) list of ma­jor break­throughs that have had a trans­for­ma­tive im­pact on peo­ple’s lives.

MRI scans were

de­vel­oped at the Univer­sity of Not­ting­ham in the 1970s.

Sir Peter Mans­field, who led the team, be­came the first per­son to be scanned by the ma­chine.

More than 40 years later, the in­ven­tion is still used by doc­tors in more than 60 mil­lion clin­i­cal ex­am­i­na­tions each year, ac­cord­ing to UUK.

Re­searchers at Cardiff

Metropoli­tan Univer­sity have worked with the NHS for more than 20 years to de­velop be­spoke pros­thetic breasts for women who have un­der­gone a mas­tec­tomy.

The project aims to re­duce the psy­cho­log­i­cal im­pact on pa­tients and aid their re­ha­bil­i­ta­tion.

The Univer­sity of Ex­eter’s sub­mis­sion was an in­no­va­tion in hip

re­place­ment op­er­a­tions.

Pro­fes­sor Robin Ling and Dr Clive Lee, both from the univer­sity, de­vel­oped an im­plant that can be se­curely fixed to the skele­ton.

The first “Ex­eter Hip” op­er­a­tion, as it came to be known, was car­ried out in 1970.

More than 100,000 Ex­eter Hips are now im­planted each year, ac­cord­ing to UUK.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.