OAP with dementia ‘banned from buses’ after sex assault
A PENSIONER suffering with dementia has been banned from travelling on buses without adult supervision after he sexually assaulted a teenage girl during a journey.
The incident happened just weeks after the end of a sexual harm prevention order which had been imposed on 72-year-old Anthony Carter after he was caught openly performing a sex act on himself in a public toilet. A judge described the case as “troubling” and said there were few sentencing options open to him given the defendant’s deteriorating mental health.
Swansea Crown Court heard that on September 5 this year Carter and his 17-year-old victim boarded a bus in the city centre Quadrant bus station.
Tom Scapens, prosecuting, said Carter sat next to the teenager even though there were free seats else- where on the vehicle, and began talking to her.
The court heard that during the journey Carter rubbed the girl’s breast with his elbow, and told her “I bet you liked that, didn’t you”.
Mr Scapens said the teenager was shocked by what was happening, and responded by laughing – she then “engaged” with the pensioner “so matters did not escalate”.
Carter later took the girl by the hand, told her she was lovely and he wanted to kiss her, and moved his face towards hers – the teenager turned her head away, so Carter kissed her on the cheek.
The court heard Carter then apologised for what he had done, and got off the bus – waving to his victim as he did so. The incident was reported to police the following day, and Carter was arrested on September 7 at his son’s house – when questioned by police he denied the offence but a check of CCTV on the bus showed the account of the victim was “fully supported” by the footage.
In a victim impact statement read to court, the teenager said she had felt “trapped” by Carter on the bus, and the experience had left her feeling nervous around men she did not know, and suffering from panic attacks.
She added that she felt angry at herself for doing nothing about Carter’s behaviour at the time, and she felt she was partly to blame. Carter, of Bernard Street, Swansea, had previously pleaded guilty to sexual assault when he appeared in the dock for sentencing.
The court heard he has previous convictions for four offences, all of a sexual nature. The first conviction, for exposure, related to an incident when he lived in Swansea’s SA1 docklands area in 2012 The second conviction, a sexual assault by touching, involved him “cupping the breast” of a different neighbour while helping her with some handiwork.
The third conviction, from 2013, involved him “cornering” a female toilet attendant in conveniences in Parc Tawe, exposing his penis to her, and telling her to touch it.
The fourth offence happened in the toilets of Mcdonald’s in Swansea’s Castle Square when he was seen performing an act at a urinal as he chatted to customers.
Lee Davies, for Carter, said he had attempted to get a report from his client’s medical practitioner about his dementia but the doctor “was not prepared to help”.
He accepted the offence crossed the custody threshold but noted the defendant was no longer “in a fit state” to go out alone due to his condition.
Judge Geraint Walters described the case as “very troubling” – and one that was difficult to sentence.
Carter was sentenced to 12 months in prison, suspended for two years, was put on the sex offenders’ register for 10 years. He was made the subject of a sexual harm prevention order which prohibits him from travelling on public transport unless he is accompanied by an adult who knows about his convictions and registration requirements.