Hunt for an­swers into pet’s death af­ter house fire

South Wales Evening Post - - NEWS - ROBERT DALLING @Robert­dalling • 01792 545545 [email protected]­di­awales.co.uk

A BELOVED fam­ily dog died af­ter fall­ing ill in mys­te­ri­ous cir­cum­stances in ken­nels af­ter be­ing left there fol­low­ing a dev­as­tat­ing house fire.

Alexan­dra and Wayne Sayce and their chil­dren, Kieran, 9, and Amelia, 5, are des­per­ate for an­swers over the death of their beloved eight-year-old dog Bruce, af­ter a stay at a Welsh ken­nels.

The fam­ily were forced to flee their home in Trallwn Road in Llansam­let in June af­ter some­body set fire to their front door.

The blaze, at 11.30pm, which the fam­ily said they were “still try­ing to come to terms with”, saw smoke ruin their be­long­ings.

They were forced to stay at an in-law’s house for four months fol­low­ing the fire, while friends and fam­ily took turns look­ing af­ter Bruce.

In Septem­ber, the fam­ily thought they might get tem­po­rary ac­com­mo­da­tion, but that was de­layed, leav­ing them with­out some­where to leave their pet. They took the de­ci­sion to tem­po­rar­ily put him in ken­nel ac­com­mo­da­tion on Septem­ber 9.

The fam­ily vis­ited Bruce the fol­low­ing week as they were “miss­ing him ter­ri­bly”, and said he ap­peared to be fine.

They in­formed the ken­nels, which is not be­ing named for le­gal rea­sons, they would need to keep him there a bit longer due to the de­lay in get­ting their ac­com­mo­da­tion.

But on Tues­day, Oc­to­ber 2, they re­ceived some dread­ful news.

Mr Sayce re­ceived a tele­phone call at 4pm telling him: “I think you need to come see your dog, some­thing is wrong.”

When he got there, he found Bruce un­re­spon­sive and rushed him to Lake­side Vets as the fam­ily de­scribed him as be­ing in a “real bad way.”

Mrs Sayce ex­plained that when he was taken to the vet, he was found to have a deep cut on his tongue.

Bruce was kept in an iso­lated cage, so as not to come into con­tact with any other dogs. “He was life­less,” said Mrs Sayce.

“I broke my heart when they showed me his tongue, it was the most hor­rific thing I have ever seen.

“He must have had a huge amount of blood loss. The vets think there was some sort of elec­tri­cal burn and his fur was com­ing out in clumps. They said they could tell by his eye and re­sponse he was brain dead.”

Giv­ing her as­sess­ment of Bruce’s con­di­tion, a vet work­ing at Lake­field said: “He was com­pletely col­lapsed and had res­pi­ra­tory dif­fi­culty.

“He had a burn to his tongue all the way through into the mus­cle.

“There was a vel­vet tex­ture to his teeth and skin, he was smelling and was blue and very weak.

“He was put on IV fluid as he was in com­plete shock, and had to have CPR re­sus­ci­ta­tion twice, as we lost him twice.

“It was an in­jury com­pat­i­ble with a burn from elec­tri­cal in­jury, maybe from chew­ing through wires. We had never seen any­thing like that be­fore, it was one of the worst cases we’ve ever seen.”

The fam­ily claimed the ken­nels had not been able to give them an ex­pla­na­tion as to why Bruce might have fallen ill.

“We phoned the RSPCA and the coun­cil said they paid a visit to the ken­nels and found no sharp edges or elec­tri­cal points in the ken­nel where Bruce was kept and that there was noth­ing more they could do,” added Mrs Sayce.

The Post ap­proached the ken­nels for a re­sponse, but it said it would be mak­ing no com­ment.

Bruce be­ing treated at the vets and, be­low, the dev­as­tated Sayce fam­ily.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.