Re­u­nited: lost dog miles from home

Southport Visiter - - Front Page - BY CHANTELLE HEEDS chantelle.heeds@reach­ @chantelle­heeds

ALOST dog res­cued from a busy road by a South­port vol­un­teer “smiled” as he was re­u­nited with his owner.

The Stafford­shire bull ter­rier – who was named Ge­orge by res­cuers, af­ter the Cu­ri­ous Ge­orge car­toon, as he was “a mon­key” – was re­u­nited with his Crox­teth owner af­ter 11 days apart.

The 10-year-old dog was dis­cov­ered run­ning around on Liver­pool Road, near Fearns Farm, Ruf­ford, on Oc­to­ber 10.

Sh­eryl Flint, an an­i­mal res­cue vol­un­teer from South­port, of­fered to care for him while she tried to trace his owner.

She said: “I was con­tacted on the Thurs­day and set about try­ing to find his owner as he was not chipped and there are also not many houses around where he was found.

“We posted on Face­book pages, and drove around Ruf­ford to try and find his own­ers, but no one recog­nised him so we thought he must have been from some­where else.”

The dog was in dis­tress due to be­ing away from home and was con­stantly cry­ing or bark­ing.

But as “Ge­orge” was over­weight and didn’t like to be left on his own, Sh­eryl re­fused to be­lieve he had been aban­doned and spent more than a week search­ing for his owner.

She said: “He kept cry­ing. It was like he was try­ing to find his fam­ily.

“When he barked it also sounded like he was say­ing ‘home’. I could tell he was loved.

“I told the coun­cil I was pre­pared to keep him for 28 days, as we all know if Ge­orge goes to ken­nels seven days later he would be dif­fi­cult to re­home.

“Ken­nels are over­flow­ing; at least with us he stands a chance.”

It wasn’t un­til last Satur­day that Sh­eryl re­ceived a call from a woman who had seen the posts on Face­book and claimed to be the dog’s owner - and told her his real name was Len­nox.

The owner, who does not want to be named, and Sh­eryl sent pic­tures of her miss­ing Stafford­shire bull ter­rier, and it ap­peared to be the same dog.

The fol­low­ing day, the owner, in her 60s, came to col­lect Len­nox and only had to shout his name for him to run over and greet her with a ‘smile’ and a wag­ging tail.

Sh­eryl said: “It was lovely to see him go­ing home to his fam­ily.

“He was the hap­pi­est I had ever seen him, he looked like he had a big smile on his face.”

Len­nox the Staffy was nick­named Ge­orge by res­cuer Sh­eryl Flint – who traced his owner

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.