John Perrins & Son awarded with Blue Plaque
The Mayor of Worcester, councillor Jabbar Riaz, has dedicated a Blue Heritage Plaque to the family firm John Perrins & Son to recognise their prestigious gunmaking enterprise.
John Perrins was born in Kidderminster in 1796 and set up his business in Worcester in 1831. In 1855, his eldest son, John, became a partner, and by 1859 the business was John Perrins & Son, located at 6 Mealcheapen Street. It was at this address that some very fine examples of provincial sporting guns were built.
In 1862, John Perrins died, followed only four years later by his son, John. It was John Perrins’ son Henry who then took control of the business and advanced into the golden age of English gunmaking. By 1879, the business had expanded into substantial premises at 59 Broad Street, and Perrins guns were being used by the very best gentlemen in Worcestershire. The Worcestershire Regiment even commissioned guns to take overseas for shooting and hunting.
Henry Perrins retired in 1892 and sold the business to his son-in-law, Herbert Pollard, under whose name the business continued into the 1950s.
An 8-bore rifle made by John Perrins & Son in Broad Street circa 1890 was sold at auction in Rock Island Illinois in 2015 for $32,000.