Min­is­ter’s son re­ported dead

Stirling Observer - - FIRST WORLD WAR CENTENARY -

A Strath­blane min­is­ter learned his el­der son had died in the fight­ing. Sgt Wil­fred Blake Moyes, Royal West Sur­rey Reg­i­ment , suf­fered fa­tal wounds on March 26, 1918. The 30-year-old son of Rev WB Moyes had seen much fight­ing since join­ing the High­land Light In­fantry be­fore trans­fer to the West Sur­rey reg­i­ment. He had also been awarded the Mil­i­tary Medal.

Pte John Bond, who had left Deanston a few months ear­lier to un­dergo train­ing at a Re­serve Camp, was be­fore de­par­ture pre­sented with a wrist watch by mem­bers of Doune Epis­co­pal Church as a“to­ken of their es­teem and ap­pre­ci­a­tion of his ser­vices as a mem­ber of the church”.

Peter Buchanan, a for­mer well known Cal­lan­der foot­baller, was re­ported to be a pris­oner-of-war in Ger­many. He was, said the Ob­server of 100 years ago, con­nected with Rob Roy in its hey­day and played along­side club stal­warts such as David Hen­der­son and JamesWilkie. He later cap­tained Ed­in­burgh team St Bernard.

In Crof­tamie, a cer­e­mony took place at the pub­lic school at which Sgt John Robert­son, A&SH, was pre­sented by the Duke of Mon­trose with a“hand­some” gold watch, chain and pen­dant in recog­ni­tion of his award of the Distin­guished Con­duct Medal. The gift was handed over by the Duke on be­half of the peo­ple of Crof­tamie, Dry­men and Loch Lomond­side.

The Ob­server re­ported that Span­ish flu – the ail­ment that led to a global pan­demic in 1918-19 – was“rife”in Ban­nock­burn, par­tic­u­larly among min­ers, and there had been a large num­ber of ab­sences from pits in the area.

On the home front, the death was re­ported of one of the coun­try’s few re­main­ing veter­ans of the Crimean War. Ex-de­tec­tive Henry Dou­glas, for­merly of Glas­gow Po­lice, died at his home at Nether­ton, Blane­field, in his 86th year. He en­listed in the 79th (Cameron) High­landers shortly be­fore the start of the Crimean War, fought be­tween 1853 and 1856, and took part in the bat­tles of Alma and Sevestapol. Af­ter his dis­charge from the Army, he joined the po­lice and was posted to Glas­gow’s North­ern Di­vi­sion where he was pro­moted to de­tec­tive. He re­tired 20 years ear­lier but was in his day“prob­a­bly the best known man in North­ern”.

In Gar­gun­nock, a mo­tor van be­long­ing to Messrs Cow­brough and Mercer, Stir­ling, was in­volved in an ac­ci­dent in which a child was hurt. The van was parked on a steep part of Main Street when, it was thought, the vi­bra­tion of the en­gine forced it to roll back on to the pave­ment, knock­ing down three-year-old John Fisher who suf­fered a frac­tured arm.

Dun­blane Rovers FC fin­ished their sea­son hav­ing won 15 of their 27 matches with eight lost and four drawn. The free-scor­ing out­fit banged in 132 goals, an av­er­age of al­most five goals a game, but con­ceded 80.

Six Plean young­sters, aged be­tween nine and 12, ap­peared at the Chil­dren’s Court charged with hav­ing in July 2, 1918, in a field at Gal­la­muir Farm , oc­cu­pied by Mr John Ed­mond, ma­li­ciously dam­aged seven coils of hay by climb­ing on them and knock­ing the hay down. The boys ad­mit­ted the of­fence and Sher­iff Dean Les­lie fined each five shillings.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.