Sales­man punched ri­val in street bust-up

Stirling Observer - - FRONT PAGE -

A dou­ble glaz­ing sales­man who punched and kicked a ri­val sales­man in a Dun­blane street dur­ing a fight was this week or­dered to carry out un­paid work.

SRJ Win­dows’ sales­man An­drew Jenk­ins had ad­mit­ted as­sault­ing for­mer SRJ em­ployee Dar­ren Reape, who had moved on to CR Smith, in Daniel Av­enue on July 21, 2017.

Stir­ling Sher­iff Court had been told that SRJ Win­dows’ sales­man Dar­ren Cross had an on­go­ing dis­agree­ment with Mr Reape.

Cross (34) and 27-year-old Mr Reape were once col­leagues. Mr Reape had also been trained by the third sales­man on the street, An­drew Jenk­ins, 29. Mr Reape had left SRJ four months ear­lier. Pros­e­cu­tor Ch­eryl Clark had ex­plained: “When he was there he didn’t get along with Mr Jenk­ins or Mr Cross. I be­lieve he had re­ported them to their man­ager over things he didn’t like about them. On the day in ques­tion he was work­ing for his new com­pany in Dun­blane.

“About 2pm Cross and Jenk­ins, also work­ing as door can­vassers, were dropped off in the area by their man­ager and the par­ties came across one an­other.

“Mr Cross and Mr Reape be­came in­volved in an ar­gu­ment which be­came phys­i­cal and a strug­gle broke out be­tween them.

“Due to the strug­gle go­ing on be­tween Mr Cross and Mr Reape, Mr Jenk­ins be­came in­volved and struck Mr Reape in the face.”

The de­pute fis­cal said it was ac­cepted this blow was in de­fence of Mr Cross and it caused Mr Reape to fall to the ground. Once he was on the ground Jenk­ins re­peat­edly punched him and kicked him.

Miss Clark said: “By­s­tanders in their gar­dens and peo­ple driv­ing by in ve­hi­cles could see this go­ing on.”

Jenk­ins and Cross, both of Dun­fermline, later left the area and Mr Reape was at­tended to by res­i­dents while po­lice were called.

Mr Reape was taken to hospi­tal and treated for a black eye, swollen cheek and a cut over his eye­brow.

The Crown ac­cepted a plea of not guilty from Cross and a plea of guilty from Jenk­ins to a charge of as­sault­ing Mr Reape by punch­ing and kick­ing him.

Stephen Mor­ri­son, for Jenk­ins, had ear­lier told the court: “It’s fair to say they didn’t see eye-to-eye and, hav­ing left the firm, Mr Reape had some sort of on­go­ing dis­agree­ment with Mr Cross on so­cial me­dia. At times it be­came quite vit­ri­olic.

“The par­ties found them­selves in the same street and a fight de­vel­oped be­tween Dar­ren Reape and Dar­ren Cross. Mr Jenk­ins only be­came in­volved when his friend and co­worker screamed for help. Mr Cross claims Mr Reape was try­ing to gouge his eye out.

“Mr Jenk­ins saw blood com­ing from his friend’s face. He at­tempted to pull Mr Reape away. Mr Reape turned and at­tempted un­suc­cess­fully to punch Mr Jenk­ins. Mr Jenk­ins then punched Mr Reape in self­de­fence. Mr Reape fell and grabbed Mr Jenk­ins’ legs on the way down. Both of them ended up on the ground.

“Mr Jenk­ins ac­cepts he was able to dis­en­tan­gle him­self and whilst be­gin­ning to get up he ac­cepts he punched Mr Reape to the head a num­ber of times and as he got to his feet he ac­cepts he also a num­ber of times de­liv­ered kicks to his body.”

On Wed­nes­day, Mr Mor­ri­son told Sher­iff Wyl­lie Robert­son that Jenk­ins was “more than will­ing” to com­ply with a term of un­paid work. Sher­iff Robert­son sen­tenced him to 225 hours’ un­paid work – dis­counted from 300 hours’ due to his guilty plea – to be car­ried out within six months.

Sen­tenced An­drew Jenk­ins pic­tured leav­ing Stir­ling Sher­iff Court

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.