Stirling Observer

Doune deal as Castle progress

Side in last eight of the Scottish Cup

- Scottish Amateur Cup

DOUNE CASTLE ................ 2 GARTCOSH UNITED .......... 1

First half strikes from Alan Inglis and Lukasz Duszynski sealed Doune’s place in the Scottish Amateur Cup quarter finals in front of a large Moray Park crowd.

Early play was even and mainly confined to midfield as both sides settled into the match.

Allan Pacitti dealt confidentl­y with anything thrown into his penalty area.

It was Doune who made the breakthrou­gh after 18 minutes. Alan Inglis saw his low drive take a slight deflection and zipped low towards goal. Gartcosh keeper Wilson looked to have the shot covered as he dived full-length to his left.

Dramatical­ly, the ball bounced wickedly off the pitch and spun over the keeper’s outstretch­ed arms to nestle into the corner of the net for 1-0.

Jack Wardrope anticipate­d a threat and intervened with an outstandin­g block as Gartcosh pushed for the equaliser.

Doune doubled their lead after 33 minutes after fine play from Alan Inglis. Inglis shielded the ball from his marker, before turning him and cutting inside. Inglis forced his way between two more defenders and blasted a powerful shot from eight yards.

Keeper Wilson saved superbly to parry Inglis’ drive. Duszynski reacted fastest to the loose ball and rammed the ball high into the net for 2-0.

The visitors started the second half determined to claw their way back into the contest.

Allan Pacitti made a fine stop after 53 minutes, the Castle keeper pushing over a good effort from just inside the area.

Gartcosh dragged themselves right back into the contest after 62 minutes.

None of the Castle players attacked a free kick curled towards the back post from the right side of the area. William Sawyers grabbed the lifeline, touching the ball high into the net for 2-1.

That goal buoyed Gartcosh who now battled for the equaliser. However, with the ever-calm presence of keeper Pacitti, and with Dean Manson and Tam Nelson in fine form at the heart of the Castle defence, Doune gradually reasserted themselves on the play and were the more dangerous side.

Stuart Wilson denied Doune with a number of fine saves as Doune finished the game the stronger side.

At the other end, Pacitti made a decent save look very comfortabl­e as the Castle keeper thwarted a Gartcosh counter-attack as the away side fought to earn a replay.

With full-time edging evercloser, Doune demonstrat­ed sensible game management.

They defended simply and, as he had done all game, in midfield Robbie Hurst was always available to help keep possession.

The referee guaranteed a tense end to the tie, with six minutes of additional time.

Wilson still had time to repeat his heroics with another outstandin­g save to deny Duszynski in the game’s dying seconds.

Doune then played the ball into the corners and saw out time to earn their place in the last eight of the Scottish Cup.

Doune Castle – Pacitti, Gillespie (Campbell), D Innes (Mcrae), Manson, Nelson, Wardrope (Craig), Duszynski, Inglis, Macdonald (A Innes).

Subs – Macdougall, Paterson, Gibson.

 ?? ?? Party time
Jubilant Castle players celebrate their win
Party time Jubilant Castle players celebrate their win
 ?? ?? On target Doune go 2-0 ahead with a close range finish
On target Doune go 2-0 ahead with a close range finish
 ?? ?? Denied Allan Pacitti gathers a Gartcosh corner
Denied Allan Pacitti gathers a Gartcosh corner

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom