Fam­ily fun turns to hor­ror as pill found in sweet gift

Stockport Express - - Front Page - NEAL KEEL­ING

AMUM says she found a pre­scrip­tion pill in­side a box of Smar­ties her kids were given at Hal­loween.

Kayleigh Stark said she gave the tablet to doc­tors, be­fore tests re­vealed it was Di­clofenac - a type of strong anti-in­flam­ma­tory.

The 29-year-old mum-oftwo said the box of sweets was given to her chil­dren Annabelle, five, and Joel, three, last month while they were trick or treat­ing.

Smar­ties ‘mini’ boxes are not sealed, and open and close with a tab. It is thought the box Kayleigh’s chil­dren were given came from a mul­ti­pack.

Nes­tle, which man­u­fac­tures Smar­ties, and Greater Man­ches­ter Po­lice have been in­formed are car­ry­ing out en­quiries.

It is be­lieved the pill was put into the box af­ter it was sold. Nes­tle isn’t thought to be at fault.

Kayleigh, 29, from Great Moor, said she spot­ted the tablet on Thurs­day evening af­ter she emp­tied the box of sugar-coated choco­lates into a bowl for her son.

“It was right at the top,” she said. “I no­ticed it be­cause it was slightly big­ger and wasn’t shiny like the other Smar­ties.”

Kayleigh said she phoned her hus­band Chris, 39, be­fore and their shock quickly turned to panic when they re­alised Annabelle had eaten an­other box of Smar­ties also given to the sib­lings at Hal­loween.

The young­ster ap­peared to be fine, but Kayleigh was ad­vised by an NHS 111 ad­viser to take her to A&E to be checked over.

“We just didn’t know if there had been an­other pill - or what it even was,” Kayleigh added.

“Annabelle was fine, we could see that, but we wanted to be on the safe side. We took her to Step­ping Hill hos­pi­tal and they car­ried out loads of tests.”

Thank­fully, Annabelle was quickly given the all clear. Doc­tors took the pill and iden­ti­fied it as Di­clofenac. Kayleigh says medics told her that if her daugh­ter had taken a sim­i­lar pill, she could have been left vom­it­ing.

Of­fi­cers met Kayleigh at hos­pi­tal and took the pill and Smar­ties box away. A po­lice in­ves­ti­ga­tion was then launched.

Warn­ing par­ents to re­main vig­i­lant in a Face­book post, Kayleigh wrote: “It was ter­ri­fy­ing. I kept think­ing, ‘what if?’

A spokesman for Nes­tle said: “We are aware of this in­stance and have been speak­ing with the fam­ily in­volved. We have very strict con­trols in place to en­sure the qual­ity and safety of all of our prod­ucts.”

●●Kayleigh Stark with hus­band Chris and chil­dren Annabelle and Joel. Be­low the Smar­ties box and pill

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.