Moor’s lead slips away as LSH nick win

Stockport Express - - Sport - LANCS/CHESHIRE DIVI­SION 2 HEATON MOOR ............. 31 LIVER­POOL SH .............. 32 TONY KIRKHAM

HEATON Moor wel­comed Liver­pool St He­lens to Green Lane where a late come­back from the vis­i­tors earned them a slen­der vic­tory.

Both sides were well be­low their full per­ceived strength with Moor giv­ing a de­but to club chair­man Mark Ruby who would take his place in a reshuf­fled front row.

It was good to see for­mer Moor No 8 James Sal­ter back at Green Lane. for the vis­i­tors

In an ex­cel­lent open­ing stanza, both sides at­tempted to stamp their author­ity on the game through their for­wards.

How­ever, the vis­i­tors’ com­plete re­fusal to clear their lines through use of the boot would see them ul­ti­mately sur­ren­der points to the home side.

The open­ing score of the day though did go to Moor on 15 min­utes through a well struck Mike Ing­ham penalty from out on the right but the three points were a measly re­turn for what should have been a min­i­mum of five and pos­si­bly seven.

From the restart, LSH made their first foray into Moor ter­ri­tory where they scored an un­con­verted try.

Moor did even­tu­ally open their try ac­count af­ter a pe­riod of play within the LSH 22 which saw the vis­i­tors refuse to kick the ball clear when they had am­ple op­por­tu­nity to do so.

It even­tu­ally led to the ball be­ing turned over which brought a cho­rus of off­side shouts from the LSH bench, promptly ig­nored by ref­eree An­drew Lord, and Moor full­back Chris Og­den Smith split the LSH de­fence in two with a scyth­ing run that was fur­ther taken on by Ben Jones. He was stopped a yard short only for David Adebo to pick up the pieces by div­ing over the line for seven points to Moor.

The home side then ex­tended the lead af­ter a penalty for a high tackle was kicked to the cor­ner where an ex­cel­lent Danny Ire­land throw was taken by Will Pacey which saw the ball fed to No 8 Ben Jones who was loi­ter­ing with in­tent in the mid­field that saw the Moor pack form scrum like to drive to within a yard of the line only for the LSH pack to bring the maul down for a penalty try.

Moor be­ing Moor then im­me­di­ately al­lowed the vis­i­tors back in to the game with a good break from the full­back who scored a fine in­di­vid­ual try in the right hand cor­ner to see the half time score at 17-13 to Moor.

The sec­ond half started well for Moor af­ter an LSH player was sent off for a sec­ond yel­low card af­ter in­hibit­ing scrum-half Mike Ing­ham from tak­ing a quick penalty.

The penalty was then kicked in to touch where from the li­ne­out David Adebo joined the line to cre­ate an over­lap from which he made a break, burst­ing through one tackle to score his sec­ond try which was con­verted by Mike Ing­ham.

With Moor now in the box seat, things were look­ing good when from the restart the was ball passed to Adebo on the right, where he cut in­side and made another surg­ing run to take play to within five me­tres of the LSH line where the ball was then re­cy­cled for wing Alex Tupou to score a fine try con­verted by Ing­ham – 31-13.

Still over half-hour to play which al­lowed coach Mark Ed­wards to reshuf­fle the deck by tak­ing off sec­ond row Will Pacey which saw Kings­ley re­moved from the back­line and moved in to the sec­ond row.

LSH then started with their plan of how to turn the game and ul­ti­mately the re­sult around by pulling a try back from a catch and drive li­ne­out to re­duce the deficit to 31-18 which was then fur­ther re­duced to 31-25 af­ter Mark Ruby was sin binned, which saw the LSH pack score a try that was again con­verted.

The game for Moor was fi­nally up with five min­utes to go af­ter the vis­i­tors pack again went route one to score another con­verted try to fi­nally take a one-point lead they never sur­ren­dered with the fi­nal score 31-32 to LSH.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.