Town take spoils in derby clash

Stockport Express - - Sport -

STOCK­PORT Town took on Cheadle Heath No­mads in a high­lyan­tic­i­pated derby clash.

The teams went into the fix­ture with Stock­port sit­ting in 17th place, just five points off the bot­tom two, and Cheadle sit­ting sixth only three points be­hind sec­ond.

Stock­port made the brighter start, free flow­ing pass­ing be­tween the mid­field and wing backs was the theme for the first 10 min­utes. Matty Han­son cre­ated the first chance of the game, beat­ing his man on the edge of the 18 yard box, aim­ing a ball in for Gavin Salmon to meet but he couldn’t steer his ef­fort on tar­get.

Just five min­utes later the first goal of the game was scored, Rob­bie Loft­house played Cal­lum Dolan through from a short free kick. Dolan then showed some fancy foot­work, com­plet­ing four step overs to beat his man and de­liver a cross which de­flected off a Cheadle de­fender’s leg and crept into the back of the net.

The goal gave Stock­port con­fi­dence, and they cre­ated chance af­ter chance for the re­main­der of the half.

The clos­est they came was a free kick whipped in by Rob­bie Loft­house, and Fes­tus Arthur met it with a free header but too much power on the ef­fort saw the ball glance over the bar.

Cheadle had one half chance of note in the first half, a free kick from Stephen Kirby that was in range but he couldn’t test Town’s goal­keeper An­drei St­inca.

The first 15 min­utes of the sec­ond half was in Cheadle’s favour. Eb­bie Reyazan wasted two chances within two min­utes.

Stock­port prof­ited from the wasted op­por­tu­ni­ties, and played a lovely move down the right hand side to feed Dolan in once again. He split the Cheadle de­fence with a solo run and calmly chipped over goal­keeper Aaron Tyree to make it 2-0 to Stock­port.

On 76 min­utes Cheadle Heath were handed a life­line when Jack McCon­nell re­ceived his sec­ond yel­low of the game and was sent for an early shower.

Cheadle took ad­van­tage of the ex­tra man straight from the awarded free kick, Ash­ley Har­ri­son lash­ing home his ef­fort from close range. So 2-1 with 10 min­utes plus in­jury time to go, test­ing Stock­port’s re­silience play­ing with only 10 men.

Man­ager Alan Lord in­tro­duced fresh legs to see out the game. This tac­tic worked, Stock­port stayed strong and kept the mis­takes to a min­i­mum.

Gavin Salmon fouled Jack Ben­son in Cheadle’s fi­nal third, but from the fol­low through Salmon seemed to catch Ben­son with his studs but noth­ing ma­li­cious. The ref­eree de­cided this was reck­less, and is­sued the sec­ond red card of the game to Salmon. Stock­port were down to nine men for the last two min­utes, and the sec­onds seemed to be get­ting slower and slower.

But the fi­nal whis­tle even­tu­ally came and the three points went to Stock­port Town. This win pushed Stock­port up to 16th, only a point be­hind Ec­cle­shall, and dropped Cheadle Heath down to sev­enth, tied on 34 points with St Martins, who are ahead on goal dif­fer­ence.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.