Fa­mil­iar foes share the spoils

Stockport Express - - Sports - HEATON MOOR SC ....... 12 ALTRINCHAM KERS ..... 12

FOR the third time this sea­son Heaton Moor Colts locked horns with their local ri­vals in what was a pul­sat­ing game.

Both sides made light of the damp con­di­tions in a tremen­dous bat­tle which was played in a ter­rific spirit. Ker­sal made the early run­ning, Moor en­camped within their own 22 for pretty much the first quar­ter and were happy to only con­cede the one score. Ker­sal’s try was the re­sult of a bril­liant rolling maul which started a long way from the scor­ing zone af­ter just ten min­utes. But slowly the home team got to grips and were well re­warded with a great try started and fin­ished by hooker Jake Bar­rett. Jake ini­tially picked up loose ball from a ruck in mid­field and af­ter sev­eral phases, he was at the coal face to touch down for his first score of the sea­son. He would soon leave the field in­jured just be­fore half time.

The sec­ond half was of the same pat­tern, some of the de­fence and tack­ling by both teams quite a spectacle. James Bellis and Shane En­nis were out­stand­ing up front, tack­ling every­thing that moved in an Altrincham shirt. The first twenty-five min­utes of the half were score­less but that was purely down to the fact that it was a crack­ing bat­tle be­tween two ferocious sides. But ten min­utes from the end it looked like Ker­sal had taken the spoils. Colos­sal pres­sure from sev­eral for­ward phases led to a scrum un­der the posts and they broke to score, the ex­tras added to open up a seven-point cush­ion. But Moor re­fused to ac­cept de­feat and pushed Ker­sal back into their own 22, sev­eral penal­ties ac­cu­mu­lat­ing and from one li­ne­out deep in Altrincham ter­ri­tory, Asa Bot­tom­ley some­how man­aged to find the small­est of gaps to find the try line. But the dif­fer­ence was still two points with a dif­fi­cult con­ver­sion, Nick Ten­ney nar­rowly miss­ing, But the drama didn’t end there as Ker­sal were ad­judged to have ad­vance early, Nick get­ting a sec­ond at­tempt to equal­ize. He made no mis­take and the game ended in a fair re­sult, both teams ex­hausted by their ef­forts in a won­der­ful game. The colts now look for­ward to a home fix­ture against Wilm­slow, slowly lead­ing up to the Cup quar­ter fi­nal in Fe­bru­ary

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.