Teenage hammer thug left man blind
ADRUG dealing teenager who left a man permanently blind in a frenzied hammer attack has been jailed.
In a horrific assault, Jack Halliwell, of Stockport, struck his victim up to 12 times before taking a picture of him as he lay unconscious and posting it on social media.
The 40-year-old victim was repeatedly hit with a hammer in the attack, which took place in the space of just two minutes inside a flat in Arnold Street, Nantwich.
Halliwell had been using the flat as a place to deal drugs and it is believed a dispute had taken place between him and the victim over a debt, before the teenager carried out the brutal attack.
Now, the 17-year-old has been given a 14-year sentence after being convicted of attempted murder.
He was given an extended licence period of three years.
A judge at Chester Crown Court lifted a reporting restriction so the teenager could be named.
On sentencing Halliwell,
Mr Justice Butcher told him: “Within three minutes of his (the victim) entering, you had subjected him to a frenzied and brutal attack with the hammer which you had been keeping beside you on the bed. You intended to kill him. Shockingly, however, what you did was to take a photograph of him in that state, before calmly taking your possessions and leaving the scene. You subsequently sent that photograph to others, showing off what you had done.
“I have been left in no doubt that you are dangerous.”
Following the assault, the severely injured victim was left alone in a bedroom. He was only found four hours later after an anonymous call to the police.
Detective Inspector Claire Jesson, of Crewe CID, said: “This was a truly horrific and distressing attack, which will stay with the victim, his family and the officers who attended the crime scene, for the rest of their lives.
“He was beaten so brutally that he was left unrecognisable and could only be identified by his tattoo - and then he was left alone in a room in severe pain with horrific injuries.
“I am pleased a jury has found the teenager guilty and justice has been served.
“However the victim’s life has changed forever and he will continue to be on a long road to recovery and will never regain his sight.
“I commend my detectives who have worked tirelessly to secure this outcome on what was a complex investigation.”
The court heard that immediately after the attack on Sunday, July 26 2020 at 4.30pm, the teenager took a photo of the victim as he lay on the floor and then fled the property.
He ran to a nearby address, called for a taxi and waited to be collected.
Ten minutes after leaving the taxi, he sent the photo he had taken of the victim to a contact on social media.
Shortly before 5pm two women attended the flat and saw the badly beaten victim in the bedroom lying on the bed. He had a hammer underneath his feet and they tried to help him.
At 8.20pm police received an anonymous call to say a man had been attacked and was in a bedroom.
When they arrived they found the victim in the bedroom with severe injuries to his head and face.
What followed was a meticulous investigation to review CCTV footage, forensic analysis and house-to-house enquiries.
This led to Halliwell being identified and a sustained manhunt led to his arrest in Gorton, Manchester, on July 31.
He had tried to burn the clothes he was wearing on the day of the attack but a jacket seized from his address had traces of the victim’s blood on it.
The teenager was subsequently charged with attempted murder.
A second man, aged 42, was found not guilty of attempted murder.