Sunday Express



THE natural order of sport has taken a tumble, so instead of Test cricket and Wimbledon tennis the first Saturday of July served up a cascade of spectacula­r goals at the football. Several of them were quite stunning, including two powerhouse shots from 18-year-old Mason Greenwood, the latest young sensation of Manchester United. It was a delightful match all round and confirmati­on of where these two entertaini­ng teams are headed – United back towards the Champions League and Bournemout­h to relegation after five years in the top flight.

When they play like this, it seems a pity The Cherries are departing.they try to play with style and for a while yesterday they gave United a scare.

Eddie Howe’s team had been cast as hapless victims before this match, a bunch of no-hopers doomed to relegation. So, naturally, they had the temerity to start well and score first after 15 minutes. It was a shock to the TV pundits and certainly to the complacent United defenders.

Junior Stanislas collected a ball from the right on the touchline, and with a cheeky nutmeg pushed the ball through the legs of United captain Harry Maguire before squeezing a shot past goalkeeper David De Gea at his near post from the tightest of angles. Watching that, it was a surprise to learn it was a first league goal of the season for Stanislas. Watching it back will be embarrassi­ng for United’s defenders.

There is never a bad time to score a goal but certainly there was a sense that this one stirred the home side from their early slumbers. Maguire, in particular, had looked like he was on a stroll in the park.

The spark for United’s response was midfielder Bruno Fernandes, the conductor of their orchestral manoeuvres around a cavernousl­y empty Old Trafford.

Fernandes was forever demanding the ball, searching for an opening, encouragin­g slickness of thinking and deed from his team-mates.

A succession of long-range shots were met by brave blocks from Bournemout­h defenders, vainly trying to protect their early advantage, while goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale made a flying save to tip away a free-kick from Marcus

Rashford. United’s equaliser arrived on the half-hour, when Fernandes found a precision pass that gave Mason Greenwood time and space to rifle a powerful shot into goal.

A few minutes later they were ahead, from a penalty conceded by a dozy handball from Bournemout­h defender Adam Smith.

It was drilled home by Rashford for his first goal since the Premier League restart.

By half-time it was 3-1 for

United, with a delicious curling shot from Anthony Martial that brushed the bar as it flew home.

Game over? Well, nobody told Bournemout­h that, and they came out strongly in a curious and contentiou­s start to the second half.

VAR decided there had been a handball by substitute Eric Bailly on

 ??  ??

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom