Sweetener is deadly
A TV campaign will be launched to alert pet owners to the dangers of dogs eating the natural sweetener Xylitol, a deadly poison to the animals, writes David Stephenson.
On tonight’s Do The Right Thing With Eamonn And Ruth, at 9pm on Channel 5, Kate Chacksfield will tell the story of the death last October of her Vizsla called Ruby.
Ruby collapsed after she ate some brownies in which the natural sweetener was used and died after eight days in intensive care.
Ms Chacksfield said: “One teaspoon will kill your dog. It’s the new terror. We think one dog a day is dying from Xylitol.”
TV presenter Eamonn Holmes said: “As a dog owner we spend our lives trying to protect our dogs from harm and how shocking is it to realise that there is a killer lurking in your own kitchen that you may inadvertently feed your dog as treat?”
VICTIM: Kate with her beloved dogRuby