Free­dom af­ter 43 days in vi­o­lent prison

Sunday Mail (UK) - - News -

Sarah Arnold Thai prison dad Jodie Smith has ar­rived home with his son Joleon af­ter 43 days in a hell-hole cell he was forced to share with vi­o­lent crim­i­nals.

The carer landed at Ed­in­burgh Air­port with Joleon on Fri­day af­ter set­tling his cus­tody row with es­tranged wife Jin­tra Jum­maimuang, 31.

He told of his re­lief at bring­ing his boy home, but also of his night­mare or­deal shar­ing cramped con­di­tions with up to 50 de­praved of­fend­ers.

Jodie, 41, said: “I can scarcely be­lieve that this night­mare is fi­nally over.

“It’s been a ter­ri­ble or­deal and I’ve had the dark­est mo­ments of my life but I’m grate­ful Joleon is back where he be­longs.

“I’d do it all again for the same out­come.”

Jodie, of South Queens­ferry, near Ed­in­burgh, was ar­rested in Fe­bru­ary af­ter f ly­ing to Thai­land to get back his son, who had been taken out of school by Jin­tra and f lown to Thai­land with­out his per­mis­sion.

He trav­elled abroad with Sean Fel­ton, head of char­ity Ab­ducted An­gels, who has also been re­leased.

Jodie ex­pe­ri­enced the dark­est days of his life wor­ry­ing about Joleon, his mother Lidia and his preg­nant f iance Vikki Far­quhar­son, 29, while in Sakon Nakhon prison.

The dad – who won a tem­po­rary cus­tody or­der for Joleon at Ed­in­burgh Sher­iff Court – said he feared he would be raped in jail.

He added: “It was a hell hole and it was run by the pris­on­ers, not the guards.

“I wa s the on l y west­erner there for the first 48 hours as Sean was ar­rested af­ter me.

“I was in a cell on the main block which had up to 50 men.

“I was given three blan­kets but had to sleep on the floor. Of­ten there wasn’t even room to turn over as it was so cramped.

“Condi t ions were ter ri­ble. There were some re­ally evil, de­praved peo­ple in there.

“There were at least three mur­der­ers, sev­eral pae­dophiles and rapists and the ma­jor it y of the oth­ers were in for drug of­fences. “I had a few scary mo­ments. “One pris­oner star ted squar­ing up to me, shout­ing in Thai and shov­ing me in the chest. I didn’t back down from him so he left me alone. “An­other re­ally evil man started try­ing to grab my nip­ples and I pushed him away. I told him: ‘Get out of my way. If you come near find­ing his son in the re­mote vil­lage of Ban Un Dong in the north east of Thai­land.

He and his wife had jointly par­ented Joleon un­til Novem­ber 30 last year, when she took him out of Scot­land and he’d flown there to get him back.

Af­ter be­ing locked up for 43 days, Jodie was freed on April 5.

He was met by Jin­tra when he walked out of the prison gates.

Jodie said: “She told me she was sorry and she didn’t ever mean for me to be ar­rested.

“She said she was pre­pared to let me take Joleon home and she’d tried since my ar­rest to get me out of prison.

“Ini­tially things were heated but she promised to bring Joleon to my ho­tel the fol­low­ing day.

“I feel some anger at Jin­tra for what hap­pened and I’ve tried call­ing her but she’s not pick­ing up her calls. I don’t know if I’ll see her again. But I would like her to be a part of our son’s life.

“Two wrongs don’t make a right. But for now I want to con­cen­trate on pick­ing up the pieces of mine and Jodie’s lives.

“He’s my world, I love him and I’d do ab­so­lutely any­thing for him.”

HOME FOR GOOD Jolie with Joleon af­ter ar­riv­ing back in Scot­land RE­UNITED Joleon with gran Lidia NIGHT­MARE Sakon Nakhon jail. Top, Mail story

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.