Griev­ing fam­ily’s plea for an­swers

Sunday Mail (UK) - - Front Page -

The fam­ily of a man found dead more than 20 years ago claim they have been snubbed by po­lice in their pleas for up­dates on the case.

Kevin McLeod’s rel­a­tives say they have been forced to sub­mit Free­dom of In­for­ma­tion re­quests when they want news on the in­quiry. The claims come de­spite Po­lice Scot­land pledg­ing to give the fam­ily a brief­ing on the in­ves­ti­ga­tion every six weeks. Kevin’s un­cle, Allan McLeod, told how they have not had a meet­ing with any­one from the force since July.

He fears po­lice are “clos­ing the ex­its on the case” over the pos­si­bil­ity that of­fi­cers were present when Kevin, 24, died in Wick har­bour in 1997.

A new in­ves­ti­ga­tion into the death was launched ear­lier this year when a wit­ness came for­ward with fresh in­for­ma­tion.

Allan, 60, of Al­ness, said: “The wit­ness came for­ward on Jan­uary 10 and said he saw two po­lice of­fi­cers watch Kevin while he was in the wa­ter.

“There are two key ques­tions we need an­swered: Why did po­lice fail to carry out a mur­der in­quiry and were they in­volved in Kevin’s death?”

The fam­ily be­lieve in­juries on Kevin’s body showed he was mur­dered but po­lice said the death was an “ac­ci­dent”.

Chief Con­sta­ble Iain Liv­ing­stone is­sued an apol­ogy to Kevin’s par­ents last year over the ini­tial han­dling of the case.

Af­ter we asked about the case, po­lice con­tacted the fam­ily on Fri­day to tell them a re­port had been sent to the Crown Of­fice.

Det Ch Insp Mark Bell said: “We com­pleted our in­quiries and re­ported the find­ings to the Crown Of­fice last week and await fur­ther di­rec­tion. For oper­a­tional rea­sons, it is not al­ways pos­si­ble to pub­licly share as­pects of an in­ves­ti­ga­tion.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.