Tories refuse to cover cost of child rape gangs probe

Sunday Mirror (Northern Ireland) - - News - EX­CLU­SIVE BY KEIR MUDIE

HOME Sec­re­tary Sa­jid Javid is re­fus­ing to fully fund Bri­tain’s most high­pro­file child abuse probe.

The de­ci­sion over the rape gangs in­ves­ti­ga­tion in Rother­ham has opened up a £20mil­lion black hole in the finances of South York­shire Po­lice.

A fund called the Po­lice Spe­cial Grant can be used in such cases. But the Home Of­fice will not meet the full cost of the con­tin­u­ing abuse probe, which has so far put 14 men in jail for rape and child sex.

Sources say the oper­a­tion will need 200 of­fi­cers un­til 2024, but without sup­port the cost threat­ens polic­ing across the county.

PRO­TECT

South Yorks has al­ready lost more than a fifth of its gov­ern­ment fund­ing and a tenth of its front-line of­fi­cers. It is now con­sid­er­ing lim­it­ing its PCSO staff to of­fice hours only.

Tory Po­lice Min­is­ter Nick Hurd says the fund­ing de­ci­sion is to “in­cen­tivise” the force to run its in­ves­ti­ga­tion “ef­fi­ciently”.

But full fund­ing WAS granted to pro­tect the Tory party con­fer­ence, Pres­i­dent Trump’s state visit and the royal wed­ding.

Labour MP Stephanie Pea­cock said: “What kind of gov­ern­ment pays out for polic­ing their own con­fer­ence, but re­fuses to fund the big­gest child abuse in­ves­ti­ga­tion in history?

“It is or­di­nary peo­ple across South York­shire who will pay the price.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.