Hon­ey­moon food poi­son­ing has left me un­able to walk

Bride suf­fers crip­pling arthri­tis af­ter she and hubby are hit by tummy bug

Sunday Mirror - - KHAN SAIRA -

Cristina re­cov­ers in hos­pi­tal from food poi­son­ing May last year and checked in to the allinclu­sive five-star Baron Palace Sahl Hasheesh, in Hurghada, in July af­ter book­ing through Thomas Cook.

Within days, they say, both fell ill. Cristina, of Maid­stone, Kent, said: “It was aw­ful, we were both strug­gling for the rest of the hol­i­day.

“While Liviu slowly started to feel bet­ter, I still had in­cred­i­bly painful stom­ach cramps. He had no op­tion but to take me to A&E when we got back.” Doc­tors at Maid­stone Hos­pi­tal di­ag­nosed in­fec­tious gas­troen­teri­tis. Tests later con­firmed the cause was shigella, often passed on through poor food hy­giene. But as she be­gan to re­cover, Cristina de­vel­oped hor­rific joint pains.

She was di­ag­nosed with re­ac­tive arthri­tis, a known com­pli­ca­tion, and was read­mit­ted to hos­pi­tal for nine days as her mo­bil­ity de­te­ri­o­rated.

DIS­BE­LIEF

Cristina said: “I was in ab­so­lute agony and could barely walk. When the doc­tors said my ill­ness had caused arthri­tis I was in a state of dis­be­lief.

“I wasn’t able to climb the stairs, so Liviu brought my mat­tress down for me. I couldn’t stand, or walk any­where

– I felt like such a bur­den on him.

“We had to buy my mother a plane ticket from Ro­ma­nia to come to Eng­land to look af­ter me.”

Cristina, who works in qual­ity con­trol, has since been un­able to re­turn to work.

She and Liviu, 32, who say they ate only at the ho­tel, have in­structed law firm Ir­win Mitchell’s to take up the case.

Jatin­der Paul, act­ing for the cou­ple, said: “We’re very con­cerned. This is a truly shock­ing and up­set­ting in­ci­dent.

“What was meant to be a hol­i­day of a life­time be­came a night­mare. We are de­ter­mined to help them gain an­swers.”

Thomas Cook, which op­er­ates the ho­tel along with other tour firms, said: “We’ve not re­ceived this claim yet but we’ll look into it with the ho­tel to make sure they are main­tain­ing the high stan­dards our cus­tomers ex­pect.”

In a sep­a­rate case last year John Cooper, 69, and his wife Susan, 63, died while stay­ing at the Steigen­berger Aqua Magic Ho­tel in Hurghada. John, of Burn­ley, Lancs, was found dead in his room. Susan died in hos­pi­tal six hours later. Thomas Cook, which op­er­ated the ho­tel, evac­u­ated guests af­ter tests showed high lev­els of E. coli and the staphy­lo­coc­cus bac­te­ria. [email protected]

mirror.co.uk

BED-RID­DEN DREAM HOL Days be­fore ill­ness struck CRIP­PLING Cristina was dev­as­tated to get arthri­tis

NUP­TIALS Liviu and Cristina on wed­ding dayFIVE-STAR

Baron Palace Re­sort MYS­TERY Susan and John died

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.