CARLISLE UNITED 1 MORE­CAMBE 1 Shrimps swim against tide to frus­trate Blues

Sunday Sun - - Football -

A LATE penalty miss spared Carlisle’s blushes against strug­gling More­cambe at Brun­ton Park as the Shrimps turned the form ta­ble up­side down.

United had their chances, but a solid per­for­mance by the Seasiders frus­trated the home side on a be­low stan­dard day of foot­ball.

The game opened with half chances at both ends but nei­ther side could quite find a way through what were very con­gested penalty ar­eas. Makeshift left-winger Mike Jones was the stand­out per­former from the open­ing spell as he twice cre­ated spa­ces and de­liv­ered crosses which were dif­fi­cult to deal with.

More­cambe were the first side to re­ally open things up when Aaron Wildig cut be­tween Lid­dle and Bon­ham to latch on to a long ball for­ward. His first touch ap­peared to put the tar­get at his mercy, but the United stop­per re­cov­ered to make an ex­cel­lent save.

The Cum­bri­ans re­sponded with an in­ci­sive at­tack which left Lambe in a dan­ger­ous po­si­tion. He drilled a fierce shot at the bot­tom cor­ner but Roche re­acted well to get down and make the parry. Ben­nett was on to the re­bound like a flash but his cel­e­bra­tions for a very good fin­ish were cut short when the off­side flag went up.

It be­came a war of at­tri­tion as both sides went long through the mid­dle pe­riod of the half, but for­mer Mag­pies youth prod­uct Adam Camp­bell al­most took ev­ery­body by sur­prise when he floated a long range free-kick at the tar­get. It dipped late and landed on the roof of the net.

The Shrimps had the bet­ter of the half and they went close when a one-touch move left McGurk with time on his hands in­side the box. He rushed things some­what and his ef­fort blazed into the side net­ting.

The vis­i­tors came again when Lavelle curled a pass across the face of goal, with the Blues at sixes and sev­ens, but Hill got just enough on it be­fore El­li­son could make it count.

Carlisle rounded off the half with a rare sight of goal when Brown bent a lovely cross for Ben­nett to at­tack. He couldn’t quite get there, but Jones moved quickly to send it back into the box. Lambe got the awk­ward ball un­der con­trol but he couldn’t keep his vol­ley down.

It was a bright open­ing to the sec­ond pe­riod with Wildig try­ing his luck when El­li­son put the ball into his path. Bon­ham got it un­der con­trol be­fore kick­ing it long. That sparked an at­tack for the hosts and Roche had to get down quickly to beat a stinger from Hope away from his bot­tom cor­ner.

The Cum­bri­ans stayed for­ward and Kelvin Etuhu sent the home crowd wild when he fired a shot out of nowhere through a ruck of bod­ies. Roche was un­sighted and he could do noth­ing as it smashed into the back of the net.

More­cambe were stung and they thought they’d equalised when Camp­bell pulled wide to make room for a cross. McGurk got to it and he should have done bet­ter than the poor touch which took the ball off to­wards the cor­ner flag. Camp­bell took mat­ters into his own hands mo­ments later with a 30-yarder which took Bon­ham out of the equa­tion. He looked on in hope as it sped past the up­right.

The Shrimps were right back in it on 73 min­utes when Carlisle got them­selves into a real tan­gle with a series of de­fen­sive mishaps. A low pass even­tu­ally broke to de­fender Steve Old and he held his ground be­fore tap­ping the equaliser into the wait­ing net.

Carlisle were let off the hook late in the day when Adam Camp­bell took con­trol of a spot kick af­ter Bon­ham had bene judged to have dumped Wildig to the floor. The striker struck it well but it rat­tled the cross­bar and bounced away to safety.

Mike Jones of Carlisle United looks to feed the ball for­ward dur­ing yes­ter­day’s draw PIC­TURE: Mark Fuller

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.