Phone men­ace, 90, is still at it

Sunday Sun - - News - KATHRYN RIDDELL kathryn.riddell@reach­

Reporter NINE, nine, nine men­ace Lena Tay­lor has walked free from court for her lat­est emer­gency call may­hem.

The 90-year-old was con­victed of mak­ing nui­sance calls to the ser­vice in July, when she re­ceived a two-year con­di­tional dis­charge.

But she was back in the dock last month and ad­mit­ted mak­ing 420 calls to the 999 ser­vice be­tween July 14 and Au­gust 30.

And the pen­sioner, of Churchill Street, Wallsend, was sen­tenced at North Ty­ne­side Mag­is­trates’ Court on Fri­day, where she pleaded guilty to a third ma­li­cious com­mu­ni­ca­tions of­fence on Septem­ber 7.

The court heard the lat­est of­fence in­volved nine phone calls to 999.

The court heard be­tween July 14 and Au­gust 30, Tay­lor had put a great strain on re­sources and had an am­bu­lance sent to her house on four oc­ca­sions. Tay­lor was taken to hos­pi­tal once but the other three times, she did not need treat­ment.

Dur­ing one call on July 22, she said: “I’ve done my din­ner, I need some­one to take me to bingo to keep me calm. Stop f****** mess­ing around with me. I’m not go­ing to sit in this house all day.”

On July 28 she de­manded an am­bu­lance and said: “I want them here now. Bring me a cup of tea and a pasty. Hurry up I’m starv­ing.”

And in an­other she said “My pasty’s f****** fell on the floor you stupid c***s, get the am­bu­lance out now.”

But de­spite her re­peated ap­pear­ances be­fore the court, it was re­vealed Tay­lor has con­tin­ued to make abu­sive phone calls in the last few days.

The court heard Tay­lor has made 79 calls to the emer­gency ser­vices in the last three days.

Mark Har­ri­son, de­fend­ing, said: “This is a lady who has reached her 90th birth­day with­out a con­vic­tion or cau­tion against her name.

“Then in the course of this cal­en­der year she has found her­self in a sit­u­a­tion where her lib­erty could be at risk.

“It’s a huge sad­ness that Mrs Tay­lor has found her­self again ap­pear­ing be­fore the crim­i­nal courts.

“She has al­most this com­pul­sion to ring the emer­gency ser­vices.

“What she then says on the tele­phone to the emer­gency ser­vices is in­ex­cusi­ble.

“She doesn’t wake up in the morn­ing won­der­ing who to abuse next.

“The plan is to oc­cupy her time, the plan is to al­le­vi­ate her lone­li­ness, the plan is to put her in touch with oth­ers who can pro­vide help and sup­port.”

Mag­is­trates handed Tay­lor a 12 month com­mu­nity or­der and ordered her to pay £85 court costs and an £85 vic­tim sur­charge.

Bench chair­man, Wyn Clay­ton said: “There are peo­ple all over the area wait­ing for am­bu­lance for an emer­gency and whilst the crews are tied up com­ing out when it is not an emer­gency, those peo­ple can be­come vic­tims.” Lena Tay­lor leaves North Ty­ne­side Mag­is­trates’ Court

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.