Drunk at the drive-thru
43-YEAR-OLD WAS OVER THE LIMIT
Paul Blake was banned from driving for 22 months Reporter SUSPICIOUS McDonald’s drive-thru staff helped snare a drink driver who called at their restaurant for a late-night meal. Paul Blake had been drinking at home and had been feeling sleepy when he decided to go to McDonald’s in Cambridge Road, Middlesbrough on November 3. But Teesside magistrates were told on Monday how it was a big mistake as the 43-year-old was over the drink drive limit when he pulled up in the Ford Focus at the restaurant window.
Emma Shea, prosecuting, told the court how Blake, of Cheam Avenue, Pallister Park, Middlesbrough, pulled up at the window and spoke to the member of staff to order his food.
She said: “The member of staff was concerned about the defendant’s manner.
“They directed him to one of the drive-thru parking bays and police were contacted.”
She said an officer arrived at 1.20am and found Blake in the driving seat with the engine running.
He was taken into custody where a breath test gave a reading of 87 microgrammes of alcohol in 100ml of breath – the legal limit is 35 microgrammes.
John Nixon, defending, said Blake was a man of previous good character.
He said: “He had consumed alcohol and was tired and disorientated. He was not aware he had drank too much.”
Blake admitted driving with excess alcohol and magistrates fined him £333 and ordered him to pay £85 costs plus a £33 victim surcharge. He was banned from driving for 22 months.
As he left the court Blake told magistrates: “I am so sorry.”