Sup­port­ers not al­lowed to at­tend games for THREE YEARS for the part they played in dis­or­der

Sunderland Echo - - Front page - By Echo Re­porter copy­desk.north­ Twit­ter: @sun­der­lan­de­cho

Two Sun­der­land fans have been slapped with lengthy ban­ning or­ders by a judge for their parts in dis­or­der which marred a friendly against Scot­tish giants Celtic on Wear­side.

Niall Al­lan, 30, and Ryan Quinn, 33, will not be al­lowed to at­tend matches for the next three years af­ter they were found to have in­cited op­po­si­tion sup­port­ers when the Black Cats faced Celtic in July 2017.

Fight­ing broke out at nu­mer­ous lo­ca­tions across the city on the day of the game.

Both men con­tested the ban­ning or­der ap­pli­ca­tions by Northum­bria Po­lice, but the pair were con­victed fol­low­ing tri­als at Sun­der­land Mag­is­trates’ Court.

Giv­ing ev­i­dence dur­ing the hear­ing, con­sta­ble Mark Sadler, a po­lice spot­ter with Northum­bria Po­lice’s foot­ball in­tel­li­gence unit, said that Al­lan had been iden­ti­fied as be­ing part of dis­or­der on the day of the Celtic game when vi­o­lence broke out in the North Bridge Street area, while he had also been in­volved in dis­or­der be­fore the Sun­der­land v Mid­dles­brough game at the Sta­dium of Light in Au­gust 2016 and be­fore the Black Cats’ trip to Mill­wall in London in March this year.

In re­la­tion to the dis­or­der which broke out when Sun­der­land sup­port­ers con­fronted Celtic fans who were drink­ing at the Deaf Cen­tre in North Bridge Street, Pc Sadler said: “Mr Al­lan can be seen with other risk sup­port­ers chant­ing “God Save the Queen”, which is some­what in­flam­ma­tory.”

Al­lan, of Crum­mock Av­enue, Se­aburn, who works as an en­gi­neer, was also iden­ti­fied as be­ing out­side the Howard Arms, in Roker Av­enue, where a man was knocked un­con­scious.

Pros­e­cu­tor Steven Reed sug­gested that Al­lan had been “beck­on­ing” Celtic fans in­side the pub to come out­side, to which Al­lan replied: “I never beck­oned to any­one on that day.”

Quinn, of Townsend Road, Thor­ney Close, who was pre­vi­ously con­victed fol­low­ing an in­ci­dent with a New­cas­tle United fan in April 2015, was iden­ti­fied as be­ing part of dis­or­der on the day of the Celtic game, some­thing which he de­nied.

Sen­tenc­ing Al­lan, district judge Roger Elsey told him: “The re­spon­dent had am­ple op­por­tu­nity to leave the area and to dis­tance him­self from the vi­o­lence.

“On each oc­ca­sion he re­mained.”

Sen­tenc­ing Quinn, Mr Elsey said he had been “an­tag­o­nis­ing” and “in­cit­ing” Celtic sup­port­ers on the day of the game when he was in Dun­das Street, next to North Bridge Street.

“He had am­ple op­por­tu­nity to leave the area” ROGER ELSEY

Niall Al­lan, left. and Ryan Quinn out­side Sun­der­land Mag­is­trates’ Court.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.