The Chronicle



THE UK has left the EU, and when the transition period ends on December 31, we’ll notice some changes.

For example, there is a new list of items we’ll need to declare when we’re coming in and out of the country.

To keep us in line with CITES, an internatio­nal agreement that protects endangered animals and plants, permits will be needed to move protected species between Great Britain and the EU, and between Great Britain and Northern Ireland, from January 1, 2021.

All species of animals and plants listed under CITES will need a CITES permit and/or an import notificati­on.

Here are some items to look out for: Guitar – it could be made using protected wood such as rosewood. Exotic pets – animals such as parrots and tortoises will need a CITES permit.

Taxidermy – dead animals can be protected under CITES too.

Orchids and cacti – some types will need a certificat­e to move in or out of the country.

Antique jewellery – check that necklace from your nan doesn’t contain ivory, tortoisesh­ell or coral: you might need a permit just to bring it on holiday. Skin cream – even low-end brands can contain caviar, which means you’ll need CITES documentat­ion to take them in or out of the UK.

Other personal items - check out items such as jewellery boxes or photo frames. These items and furniture might be made with materials like rosewood, and buying it from abroad or selling it on could mean you need to apply for CITES documentat­ion.

So, check whether the items you want to move are listed on the CITES species list. Apply for CITES documentat­ion with the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) as soon as possible. Allow at least 30 days to receive them. For more details and to get prepared, search CITES on

 ??  ??

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom