Ho­tel bur­glars stole TV – and a bot­tle of orange


The Chronicle - - News - Re­porter By SARA NI­CHOL sara.ni­chol@ncj­me­dia.co.uk @SaraNi­chol10

BUNGLING bur­glars broke into a promi­nent city cen­tre ho­tel and made off with orange juice and a TV.

Pals Thomas Tams and Con­nor Wil­son broke into the base­ment of the Royal Sta­tion Ho­tel, on New­cas­tle’s Neville Street, in the early hours of April 4.

The pair were caught on cam­era help­ing them­selves to a bot­tle of orange juice and then a TV from the staff room be­fore mak­ing off back to their home on nearby West­gate Road.

They were also caught on CCTV still car­ry­ing the stolen goods as they en­tered their ad­dress 30 min­utes af­ter the break-in, South East Northum­ber­land Mag­is­trates’ Court heard.

Now, Tams, 22, who has 100 past of­fences on his crim­i­nal record, and Wil­son, 21, who has 24 of­fences, have both been given com­mu­nity or­ders af­ter they pleaded guilty to one count of bur­glary of a nondwelling.

Tams also ad­mit­ted a fur­ther, sep­a­rate charge of theft af­ter he stole £9 of cof­fee from a Star­bucks store in El­don Square later on the same day as the ho­tel bur­glary.

The court was told Tams and an­other male ini­tially en­tered the base­ment of the Royal Sta­tion Ho­tel via a fire exit at 5.45am.

Hav­ing left the scene af­ter pick­ing up a bot­tle of orange juice, the men then re­turned with Wil­son in tow a short while later, mag­is­trates heard.

Pros­e­cu­tors said the trio were seen to look around the base­ment and try open­ing doors be­fore they grabbed a TV from the staff room and fled.

Tams and Wil­son were then caught on cam­era car­ry­ing the TV as they en­tered their home on West­gate Road less than half an hour later.

Po­lice sub­se­quently iden­ti­fied them and they were ar­rested.

Mark Hum­ble, for Tams, said: “There was never any real like­li­hood of him com­ing into con­tact with the res­i­dents of the ho­tel, and it was low­value goods that were stolen.

“It was a sneak-in bur­glary, that was not planned.”

Jonathan Pick­ford, rep­re­sent­ing Wil­son, added: “It was a very un­so­phis­ti­cated of­fence. He was last be­fore the court in Novem­ber 2014. He is also 21 years old.”

Tams was given a three-month com­mu­nity or­der and must abide by a three-month cur­few from 9pm un­til 7am, while Wil­son must com­plete 140 hours of un­paid work as part of a 12-month com­mu­nity or­der.

Both men were also or­dered to pay £50 com­pen­sa­tion.

The Royal Sta­tion Ho­tel in New­cas­tle

Thomas Tams ad­mit­ted bur­glary

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.