Killer on home leave used travel cash to go on drunken binge.

Po­lice find Ar­broath man, 27, at skate park in Glas­gow

The Courier & Advertiser (Angus and The Mearns Edition) - - FRONT PAGE - GOR­DON CUR­RIE

A killer from Tay­side who was given home leave with a drink ban used the travel money he was given to ab­scond and go on a cross-coun­try pub crawl.

Ross An­der­son – who was born in prison – bragged about be­ing on the run af­ter be­ing deemed safe to re­lease by prison chiefs at Cas­tle Huntly jail near Dundee.

An­der­son, 27, went drink­ing in Ed­in­burgh, Dundee and Glas­gow be­fore even­tu­ally be­ing traced and ar­rested at a chil­dren’s skate park in Glas­gow Green.

Yes­ter­day at Perth Sher­iff Court An­der­son, from Ar­broath, ad­mit­ted ab­scond­ing be­tween Oc­to­ber 6 and 8.

De­pute fis­cal John Mal­pass told the court: “The ac­cused is serv­ing a 15 years and six months sen­tence in re­la­tion to cul­pa­ble homi­cide and as­sault in 2008.

“He had pre­vi­ously been on home leave on two oc­ca­sions and had com­plied with con­di­tions. One of the terms of his tem­po­rary re­lease was that he must not drink al­co­hol.

“On Oc­to­ber 3 he was granted an un­escorted 10-day home leave to a bail hos­tel in Ed­in­burgh.”

Mr Mal­pass said An­der­son re­turned drunk on Oc­to­ber 5 and was re­ported to the prison gover­nor but was al­lowed to sleep it off un­til the next day.

His li­cence was re­voked and he was given £25 travel money to go back to the prison the next day. He used the cash to go to the pub and a night­club in Dundee in­stead.

Mr Mal­pass said: “He spent the late evening of Oc­to­ber 6 in the com­pany of per­sons in Dundee. He con­fided that he was on the run, but they were scep­ti­cal of that.

“Then those wit­nesses be­came aware of a press re­lease about an ab­sconded pris­oner and they con­tacted po­lice.

“On Oc­to­ber 8 po­lice were made aware he had been sighted in the Glas­gow Green area. They searched and ob­served a male next to the skate park. He de­nied he was Ross An­der­son but a check on his tat­toos con­firmed his iden­tity.”

So­lic­i­tor James Smith, de­fend­ing, said: “There is no mit­i­ga­tion. He has asked me to apol­o­gise for the in­con­ve­nience caused.”

Sher­iff Gil­lian Wade told An­der­son: “Frankly, this was a stupid er­ror of judg­ment which in­di­cates that you are not ready to be re­leased on li­cence.”

An­der­son was jailed for 12 months yes­ter­day.

An­der­son is serv­ing a sen­tence of 15 years and six months for killing a teenager in 2008.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.