Gable Endies go through in cup to earn clash with United.

Mon­trose sur­vive fight­back af­ter rac­ing into early 4-0 lead

The Courier & Advertiser (Angus and The Mearns Edition) - - FRONT PAGE -


Mon­trose al­most squan­dered a four-goal lead in a thriller at An­nan last night – but they held on to book a Scot­tish Cup show­down at home to Dundee United.

Ste­wart Petrie’s side raced to what ap­peared to be an unas­sail­able lead at Gal­a­bank with four goals in the open­ing half hour be­fore the League 2 side made the Gable Endies sweat by scor­ing three times in the clos­ing 20 min­utes.

Petrie said: “For half an hour in the first half we were ex­cel­lent but An­nan got their tails up in the sec­ond half.

“Credit to the guys for hang­ing on be­cause it’s a mas­sive re­sult for the club to get United at home in the next round.”

An­nan had the bet­ter of the early ex­changes but it was the visi­tors who took the lead in 19 min­utes when Martin Ren­nie tucked away his spot-kick af­ter Chris John­ston was judged to have han­dled in the box.

Four min­utes later vet­eran Mar­tyn Fother­ing­ham ran clean through on goal and kept his cool to lob Alex Mitchell as the home play­ers screamed for off­side.

Paul Wat­son then forced the ball over the line for the third in the 25th minute af­ter a cor­ner broke to him in­side the six­yard box.

It seemed like Mon­trose were scor­ing ev­ery time they went up the pitch, and got a fourth on the half-hour when An­drew Steeves burst for­ward and charged down a clear­ance from keeper Mitchell be­fore rolling the loose ball into the empty net from the edge of the box.

An­nan pulled one back in the 63rd minute when Ai­dan Smith slot­ted home a penalty af­ter the striker was judged to have been fouled by Iain Camp­bell.

Smith then headed home a sec­ond for the hosts in 81 min­utes be­fore Tommy Muir re­duced the deficit to one when he blasted in with five min­utes left af­ter a goal­mouth scram­ble.

At­ten­dance: 205. An­nan: Mitchell, Hooper, Moxon,sonkur, Cre­aney, John­ston (Fer­gus­son 46), Wil­son, Sin­na­mon, Wal­lace (Bradley 46), Smith, Roberts (Muir 46). Subs not used: Wright, Wat­son, Jamieson, Mur­phy.

Mon­trose: Flem­ing, Steeves, Iain Camp­bell, Dil­lon, Mas­son, Wat­son, Cregg (Cal­laghan 52), Fother­ing­ham (An­to­ni­azzi 68), Har­ring­ton, Ren­nie, Red­man (Ca­vanagh 46). Subs not used: John­ston, Ross Camp­bell, Mil­lar.

Ref­eree: David Lowe.

SNS Group

An­drew Steeves grabbed Mon­trose’s fourth goal .

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.