On this day
• 1860: The first world title fight took place near Farnborough, Hants, when Tom Sayers took on American John Heenan. After 37 rounds – two hours and 27 minutes – the match was declared a draw.
• 1937: A British attendance record at a football match was set when 149,547 people watched Scotland v England at Hampden Park, Glasgow.
• 1956: Premium Bonds were launched by Chancellor Harold Macmillan.
• 1960: US rock star Eddie Cochran died in a car crash near Chippenham while on tour with Gene Vincent.
• 1984: Pc Yvonne Fletcher was shot dead outside the Libyan People’s Bureau in central London. She had been policing a small demonstration outside the embassy.
• 2013: Margaret Thatcher’s funeral was held at St Paul’s Cathedral.