Warn­ing over bat­ter­ies

The Courier & Advertiser (Dundee Edition) - - NEWS -

Fam­i­lies are be­ing urged to be aware of the dan­ger of but­ton bat­ter­ies – com­monly found in toys, re­mote con­trols and car fobs – fol­low­ing the death of a child who had swal­lowed one.

The Health­care Safety In­ves­ti­ga­tion Branch said the small, round bat­ter­ies can cause se­ri­ous harm and even death when swal­lowed.

The warn­ing comes af­ter the safety body be­gan an in­ves­ti­ga­tion into the death of a child who swal­lowed a but­ton bat­tery ear­lier this year.

Al­though the in­quiry has not yet been com­pleted, it said the ev­i­dence gath­ered so far has been com­pelling enough to is­sue the safety mes­sage in time for Christ­mas.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.