Para­medic tells court of bloody scene which greeted him on ar­rival.

HIGH COURT: First re­spon­der tells how am­bu­lance crew bat­tled to save man’s life after al­leged at­tack

The Courier & Advertiser (Dundee Edition) - - FRONT PAGE - MORAG LIND­SAY molind­[email protected]­

A para­medic de­scribed the bloody scene when he ar­rived on the Dundee street where a man was al­legedly im­paled after be­ing at­tacked with a bow and ar­row.

Gor­don McLeish gave ev­i­dence at the trial of Charles Lit­tle, 32, who de­nies killing Gor­don Did­uca dur­ing an ar­gu­ment at Dun­don­ald Court on Septem­ber 25 2017.

Mr McLeish ar­rived as other paramedics and a trauma team con­sul­tant were bat­tling in vain to save Mr Did­uca.

At the High Court in Glas­gow yes­ter­day Mr McLeish said: “When I ar­rived I saw the crew al­ready there per­form­ing CPR on a per­son.

“I took over the air­way be­cause it was com­pro­mised by blood com­ing into it.

“An A&E con­sul­tant on the trauma team then took over.”

A stab wound to the shoul­der, which dam­aged cru­cial blood ves­sels lead­ing to the heart, was cited as the cause of death.

Dr He­len Brown­low, a se­nior lec­turer in foren­sic pathol­ogy at Dundee Univer­sity, who pre­pared the post­mortem re­port, said this had caused an in­ter­nal haem­or­rhage, with blood find­ing its way into Mr Did­uca’s lung.

She said he had three other wounds to the hip, chest and shoul­der.

The paramedics tended to Lit­tle, who had lac­er­a­tions on his neck and wrist.

The wrist wound was “bleed­ing pro­fusely” and was con­sis­tent with a self­in­flicted in­jury, the court heard.

How­ever, ju­rors were told it was pos­si­ble that some of his other in­juries could have been caused by him be­ing struck with a piece of wood, which Mr Did­uca was said to have been hold­ing.

After treat­ment at the scene, Lit­tle was hand­cuffed and trans­ported to Ninewells Hos­pi­tal in an am­bu­lance, with po­lice present.

Con­sta­ble Matthew Boath said the ac­cused had been “re­served” and “quiet” in the af­ter­math, and did not say much other than ask­ing for a sick bowl.

He also made some dis­jointed com­ments, the court heard.

Mr Boath said: “At the door of the am­bu­lance he did say, in a vol­un­tary com­ment, ‘if I wanted to hurt him I would have’.

“In the am­bu­lance he made two fur­ther vol­un­tary com­ments – ‘they have al­ready seen my cross­bow’ and ‘how long did it take you to deal with the sit­u­a­tion’.”

Medics at Ninewells Hos­pi­tal treated Lit­tle for his in­juries and noted that he had taken am­phet­a­mine drugs.

A post-mortem ex­am­i­na­tion on Mr Did­uca re­vealed he had al­co­hol, co­caine and ec­stasy in his blood at the time of death. The court heard he had a “his­tory of vi­o­lence and pub­lic dis­or­der” span­ning nearly a decade, in­clud­ing mul­ti­ple con­vic­tions for as­sault to in­jury, breach of the peace, pos­ses­sion of a weapon and dis­or­derly con­duct.

The trial con­tin­ues.

When I ar­rived I saw the crew al­ready there per­form­ing CPR on a per­son. GOR­DON MCLEISH

Dun­don­ald Court was closed off by po­lice fol­low­ing the in­ci­dent.

Gor­don Did­uca died from his in­juries.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.