Tight de­feat in base­ment bat­tle

The Courier & Advertiser (Dundee Edition) - - SPORT -

When Dundee High Rugby broke their duck of four straight de­feats in their four open­ing Ten­nent’s Na­tional 1 games, they did it at Dum­breck against Cartha Q/P.

How­ever, with nei­ther side en­joy­ing much good for­tune since then, Satur­day’s en­counter at May­field be­came a tor­rid base­ment bat­tle.

Cartha took the spoils this time with a nar­row 36-33 win.

It looked at one point as though they were go­ing to ex­act an aw­ful price for that ear­lier de­feat, but Dundee ac­tu­ally came within a whisker of do­ing a dou­ble over their Glas­gow op­po­nents.

Cartha came out of the blocks with a vengeance and ran in tries from Juan Phy­pher, Jake Gra­ham and Peter Hol­lier, with Wayne Bur­rows con­vert­ing two to take a 19-0 lead.

Dundee dug deep, though and be­fore the break tries from Dun­can McIn­tyre and Harry Mead­ows, with Fraser McKay con­vert­ing the sec­ond, en­sured the 19-12 half-time score­line was more re­spectable.

Cartha raced away again af­ter the break with a Jonny Cam­pion try con­verted by Bur­rows who added a penalty to stretch the score to 29-12.

How­ever, it was then that the Dundee fightback re­ally got un­der way.

McKay con­verted his own try then added the kick to the bonus clinch­ing score by An­gus Thom­son.

So when they were awarded a penalty try they took the lead for the first time and a win looked a real pos­si­bil­ity.

That pos­si­bil­ity was shat­tered when, with sec­onds re­main­ing, Ryan Flett went over for Cartha’s fifth try. Gra­ham con­verted and what had been a nail­biter of a game re­sulted in Cartha get­ting re­venge.

The bot­tom of the Ten­nent’s Na­tional 1 ta­ble is now re­ally hot­ting up to be a gen­uine bat­tle, with Hamil­ton ninth on 24 points, Dundee be­hind them on 23 with Kirk­caldy and Cartha in the bot­tom two places with 21 and 20 points apiece.

Kirk­caldy have a game in hand over the other three but they could only man­age a los­ing bonus when GHA pitched up at Bev­eridge Park.

Kirk­caldy had tries from Dayle Turner and Scott An­der­son with Fin­lay Smith land­ing two penal­ties and a con­ver­sion.

How­ever, with nine points from Mur­ray Hous­ton’s try and two con­ver­sions then a try apiece from Grant Mol­li­son, Andy Pur­wall and Ross An­gus to tie up the try bonus, the points were head­ing back to Braid­holm with a 24-18 win in the bag.

In Ten­nent’s Na­tional 2, Lass­wade and Howe of Fife squared off at Hawthorn­den and there was only one con­ver­sion in it.

Howe trailed 10-8 at the break and although at one point they had taken a 15-10 lead, that two point mar­gin re­mained to the fi­nal whis­tle with Lass­wade run­ning out 24-22 win­ners thanks to a brace of tries from Alis­tair El­liot and a third for Ciaran La­mont, Matt Smith slot­ting a cru­cial three con­ver­sions and a penalty.

That was mir­rored by Howe’s try count with strikes by Chris Mann, Ryan Hood and Grant Sut­tie.

How­ever, Sut­tie’s boot pro­duced only two con­ver­sions and a penalty.

The po­si­tion at the bot­tom of Na­tional 2 is just as tight as the league above with only two points sep­a­rat­ing GHK on 21, Lass­wade on 20 and Howe on 19.

The same score mar­gin sep­a­rated Perthshire and Car­rick at North Inch, with the re­sult again hing­ing on a con­ver­sion.

Shire had four tries from Jonny Ar­mit, Dun­can Clow, Matt Croughan and Scott Al­corn.

How­ever, Ar­mit was suc­cess­ful with only one con­ver­sion while for Car­rick, John Ful­ton added two con­ver­sions to tries from Rob Li­mond, Ian Parker, Blair Jar­dine and Con­nor Wylie to give the May­bole men a 24-22 win.

Perthshire and Orkney are 10th and ninth place in Ten­nent’s Na­tional 3 but such is the mid-ta­ble con­ges­tion, they are both only five points away from the top half of the league.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.