The Courier & Advertiser (Fife Edition)
John Pullar (1803-1878)
Founder in 1824 of pioneering Perth firm of dyers and cleaners. “Pullar’s of Perth” signs eventually hung outside 7,552 agents across Britain.
One-time biggest factory in town extends along Mill Street, now adopted by various users. John Pullar and son Robert built dyeing business from scratch.
In 1852 he was made Dyer to Her Majesty the Queen. Pullar’s employed 2,600 by the turn of the century, with 300 branches and 4,000 agencies. Conflict between the family and the unions contributed to its gradual decline and it was taken over by Eastman of London in 1917, though it continued trading as J. Pullar & Sons, Dyers & Cleaners. As to its claims to fame, Britain’s first dry cleaner pioneered the first synthetic dyes, the parcel post, and was early to adopt (in 1878) both electricity and the telephone.
Burt’s Close, 129 High Street or 19 Mill Street. J. Pullar respectfully intimates that he has commenced business in the above situation, where he carries on the dying...” - 1824 advertisement in the Perth Courier