Gar­dener finds third grenade

Bomb squad called to al­lot­ments de­spite no dig­ging plea

The Courier & Advertiser (Fife Edition) - - FRONT PAGE - CHERYL PEE­BLES

A gar­dener sparked a third bomb alert at Fife al­lot­ments af­ter ig­nor­ing a warn­ing against dig­ging.

The army’s bomb dis­posal squad was scram­bled to Sil­ver­burn Park, Leven, af­ter a grenade was un­earthed.

Af­ter two wartime de­vices were found last month, Fife Coun­cil had told plot hold­ers to stop cul­ti­vat­ing un­til the area was ex­am­ined by spe­cial­ists and given the all clear. But yesterday af­ter­noon po­lice cor­doned off the area as the Ex­plo­sive Ord­nance Dis­posal team dealt with the third de­vice to be found.

Coun­cil al­lot­ments of­fi­cer Peter Dun­can said: “Fol­low­ing the pre­vi­ous in­ci­dent... we had ad­vised al­lot­ment hold­ers not to dig on their plots un­til fur­ther no­tice, so it’s very un­for­tu­nate that this has hap­pened.”

The plot where the lat­est find was made has been closed com­pletely.

A sur­vey of a large swathe of the park has been con­ducted, and re­sults are ex­pected next week.

A bomb dis­posal squad had to be called yesterday af­ter an­other grenade was found at a Fife al­lot­ment site.

Gar­dens at Sil­ver­burn Park on the out­skirts of Leven were cor­doned off by po­lice as the Army’s Ex­plo­sive Ord­nance Dis­posal team dealt with the wartime de­vice.

It is the third de­vice to be un­earthed in the al­lot­ments in re­cent weeks.

Plot-hold­ers were told last month not to cul­ti­vate their patches un­til a spe­cial­ist ex­am­i­na­tion of the land had been con­ducted.

How­ever, yesterday’s dis­cov­ery was made when an over­grown area was dug against ad­vice.

The plot at the cen­tre of the drama, where two de­vices have now been found, has been de­clared a no-go zone.

Peter Dun­can, Fife Coun­cil’s al­lot­ments of­fi­cer, said: “Fol­low­ing the pre­vi­ous in­ci­dent at Sil­ver­burn we had ad­vised al­lot­ment hold­ers not to dig on their plots un­til fur­ther no­tice, so it’s very un­for­tu­nate that this has now hap­pened.

“Ac­cess to this plot will be com­pletely re­stricted for the mo­ment.

“The spe­cial­ist com­pany we con­tracted to check the site have scanned not just the al­lot­ments but also the whole lower part of the park this week, in­clud­ing the land FEAT (Fife Em­ploy­ment Ac­cess Trust) plan to de­velop as a camp­site.

“Once they’ve an­a­lysed all the data gath­ered and re­ported back to us in the next week or so, we’ll be in touch di­rectly with al­lot­ment-hold­ers to let them know what will hap­pen next.”

A po­lice spokes­woman said: “Po­lice in Fife were called to an al­lot­ment in Sil­ver­burn Park, Leven at around 12.30pm on Fri­day, July 13, af­ter a mem­ber of the pub­lic dis­cov­ered what ap­peared to be an old grenade.

“The area was cor­doned off as a pre­cau­tion while the EOD dis­posed of the item safely.

“The pub­lic are thanked for their co­op­er­a­tion dur­ing this time.”

Leven, Ken­noway and Largo Labour coun­cil­lor Colin David­son said yesterday’s in­ci­dent was “un­nec­es­sary”.

He said: “This has been an un­for­tu­nate ig­nor­ing of the rules.

“The per­son prob­a­bly did it with the best of in­ten­tions, but it was quite clear they had only to wa­ter the plants and not plant any­thing new or do any dig­ging un­til the sur­vey was com­plete.”

He said he hoped it was an­other dummy grenade but warned: “It could have been live.”

“Ac­cess to this plot will be com­pletely re­stricted for the mo­ment

Dan­ger zone: Sil­ver­burn al­lot­ment of­fi­cer Peter Dun­can says no one will be al­lowed on to the area un­til in­ves­ti­ga­tions are com­plete.

Pic­tures: Ge­orge McLuskie.

Gar­dens in Leven’s Sil­ver­burn park­lands have been de­clared a no-go zone fol­low­ing the lat­est dis­cov­ery.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.