O2 apologises after millions lose service
Mobile network O2 and telecoms company Ericsson have issued a joint apology after millions of customers were unable to access the internet from their phones.
O2 UK chief executive Mark Evans said the company had been working with systems and equipment provider Ericsson “through the night” on Thursday, and that a full service should have been restored by yesterday morning.
British customers reported not being able to use mobile data to access the internet and the operator’s network on Thursday – which was the result of a technical fault.
Mr Evans said: “I want to let our customers know how sorry I am for the impact our network data issue has had on them, and reassure them that our teams, together with Ericsson, are doing everything we can.
“We fully appreciate it’s been a poor experience and we are really sorry.”
On Thursday evening, O2 said 3G data service was returning and that they anticipated it to be fully restored by 9.30pm.
The company said engineers would “continue working hard with Ericsson engineers to restore 4G” for its 25 million-plus customers in the UK.