Spotlight on Murraygate
Dundee city centre is still divided into the six medieval thoroughfares: the Seagait, Murraygait, Nethergait, Overgait, Wellgait and the Cowgait. “Gait”, the Scots word for street, has, of course, now become “gate”.
The Murraygate runs from the Wellgate Centre to the High Street and has always been a popular shopping area, although today it is largely pedestrianised.
Our first image dates from May 1956 and shows a thriving Murraygate. Imagine having to contend with those crowds nowadays! And isn’t it strange seeing cars and buses on the road? DM Brown on the left eventually became Arnotts.
In the second image, taken in August 1956, Barratts and Graftons can clearly be seen on the left, while Marks & Spencer is on the right. In the distance is the old Wellgate.
The third image, from October 1959, shows Graftons and Woolworths, again looking towards the old Wellgate.
Any memories of these shops? We’d love to hear at [email protected]courier.co.uk
A bustling Murraygate in 1956 – perhaps the May sunshine brought everyone out.
Walking up the tramlines in 1956.
A little girl with a giant balloon in 1959 and a fretful toddler in the background on the right – some things never change!