The Daily Telegraph - Property - - Time & Place -

We live close to Barnes Sta­tion, in south-west Lon­don, which gives di­rect ac­cess to Water­loo and the City. We have a large spare room with en-suite shower, TV, desk etc, which we are in­ter­ested in let­ting to some­one who needs to be in the City dur­ing the week but would like to re­turn to their home in the coun­try at the week­end.

We are not sure how best to ad­ver­tise this, hav­ing un­suc­cess­fully tried a web­site which is sup­posed to cover pre­cisely this sort of ar­range­ment. Can you ad­vise? Lorna Vestey writes: Con­tact ser­vice per­son­nel work­ing in Lon­don dur­ing the week through Coun­try­wide Mo­bil­ity (01256 812700), who find rental prop­er­ties for the Min­istry of Defence. They deal with five- days-a- week ac­com­mo­da­tion, such as you are of­fer­ing, as well as with full-time homes. Be warned, how­ever, that, uniquely in my long ex­pe­ri­ence of Bri­tish es­tate agents, they do take money from both sides. So, al­though they are re­tained and there­fore paid by the MoD, they will also charge you some com­mis­sion and costs, so en­sure you charge enough to com­pen­sate for this.

If you have any le­gal friends, you could get them to post a note on the no­tice­board at one of the Law Schools or Inns of Court. Lawyers of­ten look for this sort of lodg­ing for the week.

Al­ter­na­tively, try ad­ver­tis­ing in the per­sonal col­umns of this pa­per, say­ing you are look­ing for week­day oc­cu­pa­tion only. Lorna Vestey is a for­mer part­ner of a blue- chip Lon­don es­tate agency.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.