A family home in a Kensington church
Inside an unassuming church annexe lies a remarkable family home, writes Isabelle Fraser. St Philip’s Church was built in 1857 to accommodate the population of Kensington, west London, among the grand Victorian terraces south of the high street.
This six-bedroom property has been created in the former vestry and prayer room. Originally Orthodox, the church was built in the Gothic style, with yellow brick, stone dressings and slate roofs. Later it became Anglican, expanding to host more residents as the population increased.
The church is still in daily use, and is a popular wedding venue with its bell tower and gabled entrance.
The original ecclesiastical structure is covered with climbing flowers and is framed with old leadlight windows. It has been overhauled with modern touches, such as a glazed extension which highlights the sharp contrast between old and new.
There is a huge open-plan living/ dining room that is filled with light as one half of the room has floor-toceiling windows looking out on to the garden. A stone statue of Queen Victoria sits at the entrance to the former prayer room, which has been turned into a patio garden following its destruction in the Second World War.
The house is set out over three floors, and all bedrooms come with an en suite bathroom.
It is on the market for £7.5million with Russell Simpson (020 7225 0277; russellsimpson.co.uk) and Henry & James (020 7235 8861; henryandjames.co.uk).