Ron­aldo will not face US rape charges

The Daily Telegraph - Sport - - Football -

Ju­ven­tus for­ward Cris­tiano Ron­aldo will not face any charges over an al­leged rape in Ne­vada a decade ago, United States prose­cu­tors an­nounced yes­ter­day.

The Clark County Dis­trict At­tor­ney’s Of­fice said it had de­clined to pros­e­cute the 34-year-old Por­tu­gal in­ter­na­tional be­cause it “can­not be proven be­yond a rea­son­able doubt” that a sex­ual as­sault oc­curred.

Kathryn May­orga, a for­mer model, has claimed that Ron­aldo raped her in a Las Ve­gas ho­tel in 2009.

The for­mer Manch­ester United and Real Madrid star reached a fi­nan­cial set­tle­ment with her fol­low­ing the in­ci­dent but has de­nied al­le­ga­tions of sex­ual as­sault.

The dis­trict at­tor­ney’s of­fice said it had re­ceived a re­port from May­orga – who it iden­ti­fied only as “V” – on June 13, 2009, re­port­ing that she had been the vic­tim of a sex­ual as­sault.

Po­lice were un­able to con­duct an in­ves­ti­ga­tion at the time be­cause May­orga de­clined to say who had as­saulted her or where it oc­curred, the of­fice said in a state­ment.

But she then con­tacted po­lice in Au­gust of last year to ask that the case be re­opened, at which point she named Ron­aldo as the al­leged as­sailant.

No pros­e­cu­tion: Cris­tiano Ron­aldo has al­ways de­nied 2009 ac­cu­sa­tion of sex­ual as­sault

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.