Fury downs Strowman and hints at WWE return
Tyson Fury has refused to rule out a return to WWE after beating Braun Strowman on his debut at the Crown Jewel event in Saudi Arabia.
The boxer marked his professional wrestling bow with victory last night, backing up his trash talk by flooring American former strongman Strowman with a right hand and winning by count-out.
The undefeated Fury is set for a rematch with Deontay Wilder on Feb 22 following their controversial draw last year, but he has seemingly not closed the door on his wrestling career. “I’ve got a big fella called Deontay Wilder to see to, and then we see where we go from there,” he told Wwe.com.
Fury was expected to be inactive over the next few months to allow deep cuts sustained during September’s points win over Otto Wallin to heal before the Wilder fight.
But the 31-year-old, the lineal heavyweight champion of the world, was tempted back into the ring in a bid to settle his new-found feud with Strowman. He did so with a strong right, and Strowman could not make it back into the ring in time before the referee’s 10-count ended.
Fury celebrated by raising his hands in the air, and what followed next could pave the way for a rematch. Strowman bodyslammed him to the canvas and stormed off backstage.
“It was absolutely fantastic, a great experience,” said Fury. “I was really happy to be here in Saudi Arabia on a massive show. “Braun is the ‘Monster Among Men’. When I hit him with that piledriving right hand, I cannot believe he got back up and slammed me to the floor. It was a bit of a cheap shot.”