Harry Kane hat tricks, shock South Korean victories, Neymar’s Super Noodle hair… this World Cup has had it all
The weird and the wonderful at the footie
Show ’em who’s boss
1. If Aliou Cissé looks this stern when Senegal are winning, we hate to think what happens when they’re not.
2. Guillermo Ochoa, the Mexican goalkeeper, celebrates his side’s victory over Germany with his manager Juan Carlos Osorio. Either that or an attempt at ‘the lift’ from Dirty Dancing has gone very, very wrong.
3. England’s Gareth Southgate is known for demanding his team perform to their full potential. And the same goes for his trousers’ crotch stitching, too.
4. The Super Eagles, aka the Nigerian squad, model their team suits. We fully intend to copy the look for the office…
5. Team Panama, who touched down in Russia in early June, wisely elected to display Panama hats rather than Panama papers.
6. Wearing some rather natty knitwear, the Netherlands squad returns home after reaching the semi-finals of Brazil 2014. They’ve got an awful lot of cardis in Brazil, we can surmise.
7. Brazil forward Neymar contemplates the pitfalls of telling your hairdresser you’re hoping for a golden summer.
8. Australia captain Mile Jedinak celebrates being rescued from two years of desert island solitude.
THE 21ST CENTURY’S
most infectious virus yet has been identified, and it’s World Cup fever. There has been something at Russia 2018 for every emotional palate, from underdog victories to England’s best start to a World Cup for 12 years (not to mention Germany’s worst performance for 80) to the unique joy of watching Ronaldo grit his smug white teeth after missing a penalty against Iran. The tournament also happens to be one of the globe’s largest professional gatherings of men with terrible sartorial taste, so there’s that too. As I said, something for everyone. — Tom Ough