The Daily Telegraph

Haiti’s premier sacks prosecutor after claims over Moise murder

- By Rozina Sabur

HAITI’S Prime Minister Ariel Henry sacked the country’s chief prosecutor yesterday just hours after he had implicated the premier in the brazen assassinat­ion of President Jovenel Moise.

President Jovenel Moise was shot dead in his residence in the early hours of July 7 by a hit squad posing as US drug enforcemen­t agents, plunging the impoverish­ed nation into greater political turmoil. A manhunt to find the orchestrat­ors of the assassinat­ion has been under way ever since.

Mr Henry was installed as Haiti’s prime minister amid a power struggle over who would lead the country as interim leader.

The 71-year-old, who was appointed prime minister two days before President Moise’s death, but not yet installed, received the backing of the internatio­nal community to steward the country through the leadership vacuum.

However, in a major developmen­t, Haiti’s top prosecutor Bed-ford Claude sought charges yesterday against the prime minister after alleging he had spoken with a key suspect just hours after the killing. “There are enough compromisi­ng elements ... to prosecute Henry and ask for his outright indictment,” Mr Claude wrote in an order.

However, in a publicly distribute­d letter, Mr Henry told Mr Claude: “I have the pleasure of informing you that it was decided to terminate your post.”

The prosecutor had asked a judge to ban Mr Henry from leaving Haiti and said the phone calls between Mr Henry and the suspect, Joseph Badio, were made at 4:03 and 4:20am on July 7, while Mr Badio was in the vicinity of Moise’s home.

Mr Badio is a former justice department official who worked at the government’s anti-corruption unit until he was fired in May. Investigat­ors have reportedly alleged Mr Badio was a key suspect in the president’s assassinat­ion.

Mr Henry has previously defended Mr Badio, telling local media that he did not believe the former official could have been involved in the killing.

However, in a two-page document, Mr Claude said phone records had proved that the two men had spoken for a total of seven minutes.

Mr Henry was at the Hotel Montana in Port-au-prince at that time.

‘I have the pleasure of informing you that it was decided to terminate your post’

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom