The Daily Telegraph

Final whistle on Wagatha saga as Vardy rejects appeal

- By James Moules

REBEKAH VARDY has drawn a line under the “Wagatha Christie” saga and will not appeal against the High Court ruling that saw her lose a libel dispute against fellow footballer’s wife Coleen Rooney, it has been reported.

The 40-year-old, who is married to Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy, sued Mrs Rooney for libel after the wife of the former England footballer Wayne Rooney claimed stories about her were being leaked by Vardy’s Instagram account – claims which Vardy denied.

However, in July High Court judge Karen Steyn ruled that Mrs Rooney’s claim was “substantia­lly true.”

“It’s all over and Becky wants to move on,” a source told The Sun on Sunday.

“She is extremely frustrated with lawyers and the legal process, so hell would freeze over before she wanted to go back into court.

“She was pregnant with her youngest child when this whole thing blew up and she is two now. So Becky is enjoying spending time with her and her other children and does not want another legal fight to get in the way.”

Mrs Rooney’s allegation­s came following a sting operation in 2019 to find out who had been passing stories about her personal life to the press.

The judge said Mrs Vardy’s evidence should be treated with “very considerab­le caution” and accused her of deleting messages central to the case – as well as accusing her former agent Caroline Watt of deliberate­ly dropping her phone off a boat. “It is likely that Mrs Vardy deliberate­ly deleted her Whatsapp chat with Ms Watt and that Ms Watt deliberate­ly dropped her phone in the sea,” said Mrs Justice Steyn in her ruling.

Following the ruling, Mrs Vardy said: “I am extremely sad and disappoint­ed at the decision that the judge has reached.

“It is not the result that I had expected, nor believe was just. I brought this action to vindicate my reputation and am devastated by the judge’s finding.”

While “pleased” with the verdict, Mrs Rooney said: “It was not a case I ever sought or wanted. I never believed it should have gone to court at such expense in times of hardship for so many people when the money could have been far better spent helping others.

“I made every effort to avoid the need for such a drawn out and public court case. All my attempts to do so were knocked back by Mrs Vardy. This left me with no alternativ­e but to go through with the case to defend myself and to end the repeated leaking of my private informatio­n to The Sun.” Mrs Vardy has been contacted for comment.

 ?? ?? Rebekah Vardy wants to ‘move on’ after losing the libel dispute
Rebekah Vardy wants to ‘move on’ after losing the libel dispute

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom