The Daily Telegraph
Pret ‘fails to check vegan food is dairy-free’
PRET a Manger was not conducting its own checks on manufacturers supplying dairy-free products for its vegan ranges, an inquest has heard.
Avon Coroner’s Court is investigating the death of Celia Marsh, who suffered a fatal allergic reaction on Dec 27 2017, shortly after eating a super-veg rainbow flatbread.
Mrs Marsh, 42, a dental nurse from Melksham, Wiltshire, had a severe dairy allergy and collapsed in the street after eating the sandwich bought from the chain’s store in Bath, Somerset. The mother of five had been on a postchristmas shopping trip with her husband and three of her daughters at the time.
The wrap had contained yoghurt which was supposed to be vegan but was later found to contain traces of dairy protein. The yoghurt was produced by Planet Coconut, which is the UK manufacturer and distributor of products developed by Australia-based yoghurt company Coyo.
Kirsty Langford, a trading standards officer for Bath and North East Somerset council, told the inquest Pret a Manger had not apparently conducted its own audit of the claims made by Planet Coconut.
“When a dairy-free claim is made on a product you expect some sort of testing to be taking place,” she said.
“That may not itself be the responsibility of Pret A Manger but it would probably be Pret’s responsibility to ensure their supplier was undertaking some sort of testing.”
“When we went back to Planet Coconut we weren’t supplied with any test certificate.” The inquest continues.