The Football League Paper - - CHAMPIONSHIP - By Tom Crocker

PAUL Cle­ment did not hold back in slam­ming his Read­ing play­ers af­ter an “em­bar­rass­ing” late ca­pit­u­la­tion against Ip­swich.

Read­ing would have se­cured their Cham­pi­onship safety with vic­tory, but in­stead con­ceded four goals in the fi­nal 20 min­utes to suf­fer their heav­i­est home de­feat in al­most 12 years.

Mar­tyn Waghorn got the ball rolling, break­ing the dead­lock in the 71st minute, be­fore fur­ther strikes from Jor­dan Spence, Fred­die Sears and Cal­lum Con­nolly sealed a mem­o­rable win for the vis­i­tors.

The loss means the Roy­als must now pick up a point at pro­mo­tion-chas­ing Cardiff on the fi­nal day or risk fall­ing through the trap­door into League One.

“We got what we de­served at the end be­cause we weren’t pro­fes­sional for the en­tire game,” said Cle­ment.

“It was shame­ful and em­bar­rass­ing from the point where they got their first goal to the end of the game, com­pletely un­ac­cept­able.”

“The first three goals were ter­ri­ble and for the fourth goal we were all over the place.

“This is go­ing to hurt for a while.

“It’s a sit­u­a­tion we didn’t want to have to be in, to have to go to Cardiff and get a pos­i­tive re­sult, but that’s down to us. We’ve had lots of op­por­tu­ni­ties to get the points that we needed.”

Ip­swich winger Mustapha Carayol was the stand-out man of a drab first half, caus­ing prob­lems down both flanks and call­ing Vito Man­none into two good saves.

But the clear­est open­ing be­fore the break came for the hosts as Mo Bar­row broke down the left and fired a low ball across the six­yard box, but Jon Dadi Bod­vars­son com­pletely missed his kick as he looked cer­tain to tap Read­ing in front.

The Roy­als al­most got in front with 20 min­utes to play fol­low­ing a quick counter-at­tack which cul­mi­nated in Bod­vars­son tee­ing up John Swift, but Bar­tosz Bialkowski tipped over.

And soon af­ter, Ip­swich were in front. Read­ing’s de­fence stood wait­ing for an off­side which never came, al­low­ing wing-back Spence to roll the ball into Waghorn to fire high into the net from deep in­side the penalty area.

And the lead was dou­bled on 79 min­utes as Spence found space on the right again and lashed in through the legs of Man­none. And the af­ter­noon turned into one of em­bar­rass­ment for the hosts, who were booed off af­ter con­ced­ing twice more in stop­page time.

The first came in com­i­cal fash­ion as Chris Gunter’s header back to­wards Man­none lacked power and although the goal­keeper got there first, he could only can­non his clear­ance into Sears. The for­ward chased down the loose ball and glee­fully nod­ded into the empty net.

A fourth goal ar­rived when Con­nolly picked up the ball on the edge of the box, drove for­wards and fired into the far cor­ner.

“The play­ers have re­sponded well af­ter the mas­sive dis­ap­point­ment last week­end [a 4-0 loss to As­ton Villa],” said Ip­swich care­taker boss Bryan Klug. “We played well in the first half. We felt rea­son­ably com­fort­able and cre­ated a few good op­por­tu­ni­ties.

“I feel for the op­po­si­tion in many ways be­cause I don’t think it was a 4-0 game. At 1-0 I still think the game could’ve gone ei­ther way and I think the two late goals prob­a­bly flat­ter us.”

PIC: PSI/Gra­ham Hunt

WHAT A WAG: Mar­tyn Waghorn gets Ip­swich’s first and, in­set, Fred­die Sears makes it 3-0


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.