The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By John McDougall

PAUL Hurst knows Charl­ton will be a tough prospect for Shrews­bury in the play-off semi-fi­nals.

The Shrews go into the end-of-sea­son shake-up af­ter suf­fer­ing de­feat at the hands of MK Dons, Kieran Agard’s sec­ond-half penalty hand­ing the rel­e­gated Dons vic­tory at the Mont­gomery Wa­ters Meadow on their League One exit.

But Shrews­bury boss Hurst in­sists past form counts for noth­ing in the play-offs as they missed the chance to get to 90 points in the League One stand­ings.

“It’ll be tough. It won’t mat­ter who you’re play­ing, does it? Hon­estly, I didn’t have a pref­er­ence. We know that that’s what it is now,” he said.

“We’ve beaten each other for what­ever that means and counts for, so we’ll pre­pare.

“It looked like it was prob­a­bly go­ing to be them go­ing into the game and that’s how it’s turned out.

“We would have loved to have got a vic­tory. I wanted to get 90 points. It hasn’t hap­pened but it’s still been a fan­tas­tic sea­son.

“It’s all over those two games. What’s been and gone doesn’t re­ally count for any­thing.”

Cal­lum Brit­tain dragged an early low ef­fort wide for the Dons, while Rob­bie Muir­head’s thun­der­ing drive rock­eted into the stands be­fore the quar­ter-hour. Muir­head’s 21st minute free-kick was missed by Dean Hen­der­son and ric­o­cheted in the Town box in a bright Dons start.

The rel­e­gated Dons con­tin­ued to play pos­i­tively, Brit­tain fir­ing low through a crowd to Hen­der­son as Shrews­bury strug­gled to find a rhythm, but Shaun Whal­ley’s cor­ner on the half-hour was nod­ded ag­o­nis­ingly wide by the leap­ing James Bolton for the home side.

Aris­tote Nsiala’s headed ef­fort from Whal­ley’s cor­ner seven min­utes be­fore the break had a sim­i­lar con­clu­sion, while Abo Eisa’s pow­er­ful long-range ef­fort on the stroke of half-time was par­ried to safety by Wieger Si­etsma.

Whal­ley’s 49th minute free-kick was nod­ded down by Eisa as Carl­ton Mor­ris’s loop­ing header de­flected onto the bar for the Shrews..

Eisa’s danger­ous cross flashed across goal be­fore the hour but Andy Haines pointed to the spot when Nsiala fouled Agard, who then stepped up to tuck away the 63rd minute spot-kick for the Dons.

Alex Rod­man thought he had equalised but his strike five min­utes from the end was chalked off for off­side.

And Dons care­taker boss Keith Millen hopes the Buck­ing­hamshire side have set them­selves up well as they head into League Two on the back of a win.

“We def­i­nitely don’t want a hang­over. We’ve got to make sure that there’s no hang­over, so hope­fully this will help,” he said.

“I couldn’t ask any more of them. It is too lit­tle, too late but like I said to them af­ter the game, the ones that are com­ing back – make sure they’re ready.”

PIC­TURES: AMA Sports Photo

STAR MAN SHAUN WALLEY Shrews­bury UP AND AT EM: Shrews­bury’s Matt Sadler and Kieran Agard of MK Dons bat­tle for the ball while, inset, Agard cel­e­brates his win­ning goal

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.