The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Ol­lie Wil­liams

BURY boss Ryan Lowe saluted his team’s pa­tience af­ter they fi­nally saw off 10-man Stevenage thanks to a scin­til­lat­ing sec­ond half.

The Shak­ers have scored 16 goals in their last four games in all com­pe­ti­tions, and Lowe was de­lighted with an­other im­pres­sive at­tack­ing dis­play.

He said: “It might not look like it now, but we knew this would be a tough game against Stevenage. We knew we’d find it tough to break them down, and that’s how it panned out.

“The send­ing-off helped us, though, un­doubt­edly. In the sec­ond half you saw that ruth­less­ness from us again.

“We knew that was com­ing. I even said that to the lads at half-time.

“We’ve got lots of play­ers who are ca­pa­ble of cre­at­ing chances, and it’s nice to see lots of dif­fer­ent lads chip­ping in with the goals.

“We’ve been clin­i­cal and I can’t be any hap­pier. “We’ve had to be pa­tient, but we’re def­i­nitely do­ing the right things.”

Bury went close early on when By­ron Moore was de­nied by a smart save from Seny Dieng. Stevenage replied with James Ball lash­ing an ef­fort straight at Joe Mur­phy.

Cal­lum Styles then poked an ef­fort just past the post af­ter he latched on to Adams’ through-ball.

The vis­i­tors were re­duced to 10 shortly be­fore the break when Kur­tis Guthrie saw red for an ugly chal­lenge on Bury de­fender Adam Thomp­son.

The hosts made a quick start to the sec­ond pe­riod, with Danny Mayor and Nicky Adams both test­ing Dieng in the early stages.

Fi­nally Stevenage’s re­sis­tance was bro­ken in the 63rd minute. Mayor touched the ball to Jay O’Shea, and he fired clin­i­cally past Dieng from 20 yards.

It was 2-0 soon af­ter when Mayor fired in a re­bound from 15 yards.

O’Shea made it 3-0 in the 78th minute, curl­ing home a per­fectly-ex­e­cuted free-kick from just out­side the box. Sub Eoghan O’Con­nell crashed home a fourth from 25 yards as Bury were ram­pant late on.

De­jected Stevenage man­ager Dino Maam­ria aimed some of his frus­tra­tion at ref­eree Tom Neild.

“I was amazed by some of the de­ci­sions in the first half,” said Maam­ria. “By­ron Moore clearly dived twice then Cal­lum Styles’ two-footed chal­lenge was a clear red card, then when he gave one to Kur­tis, I thought, ‘Wow.’

“If he gave both a red, I’d prob­a­bly get it, but to give one yel­low and one red was un­fair. When Kur­tis chal­lenged, their goal­keeper ran 50 yards and their cen­tre-for­ward 40 – it was a scan­dalous re­ac­tion.

“I picked up a yel­low card as I was re­ally frus­trated.

“But it was a dif­fi­cult af­ter­noon for us. The first goal killed us a bit and the oth­ers were from mis­takes.”

PIC­TURE: PA Im­ages

BREAK­THROUGH: Jay O’Shea cel­e­brate scor­ing Bury’s first goal STAR MAN JAY O’SHEA Bury

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.