Did ball cross the line or not?

De­bate rages over Dob­bie’s strike

The Galloway News - - THE BACK PAGE - Stephen Tem­lett at Palmer­ston

Af­ter a week oN Queens re­turned to ac­tion with a con­tro­ver­sial draw against Mor­ton.

Stephen Dob­bie once again found the back of the net but Jim Duffy’s side fought back to equalise in the sec­ond half through Gary Oliver.

But the big talk­ing point was to­wards the end of the game when Dob­bie thought he’d scored from his own half but the ball didn’t cross the line.

The break has worked won­ders for the Doon­hamers with Jor­dan Mar­shall and Kyle Ja­cobs re­turn­ing to the squad af­ter in­jury lay-offs.

Dob­bie had a shot from in­side the box blocked for a cor­ner af­ter five min­utes but the Doon­hamers could not cap­i­talise from the set-piece.

Queens gave away a free-kick just out­side the box a min-ute later and Gary Harkins cracked the cross­bar. Keeper Jack Leigh­field was rooted to the spot for some rea­son but the fol­low-up header from Frank Ross was tame and did not trou­ble the goalie nearly as much as the free-kick.

Harkins cre­ated the next chance for the vis­i­tors when his free-kick was played into the box. The ball fell to Bob McHugh but he could not get it out from his feet and the chance was lost.

Af­ter that Queens be­gan to dom­i­nate and with 23 min­utes gone they carved out their best chance.

Some lovely build-up play saw Dob­bie get the ball on the left and he pulled it back for Lyn­don Dykes who sclaffed his ef­fort well wide.

But nine min­utes later Dykes and Dob­bie swapped roles for the open­ing goal. As the Doon­hamers piled for­ward, the Aus­tralian passed to Dob­bie who drove into the box, dodged a chal­lenge then ca­su­ally slot­ted the ball into the goal.

So af­ter a fairly even first half it was Queens who went in at the break on top.

Queens sat in at the start of the sec­ond half and were made to pay the price. They in­vited pres­sure and, with 10 min­utes gone, Mor­ton were level.

It was a nice goal with Harkins pulling the strings to play through Gary Oliver who slot­ted home in a style sim­i­lar to Dob­bie’s strike in the first pe­riod.

Harkins was putting his stamp on the game but Queens gave him too much space and were made to re­gret it.

With 72 min­utes gone the game sparked into life in con­tro­ver­sial fash­ion. Queens broke and as Dob­bie ap­proached the half­way line he pulled the trig­ger af­ter spot­ting Derek Gas­ton off his line.

The keeper scram­bled to keep the ball from go­ing in but Dob­bie, be­low, gaffer Gary Nay­smith and the en­tire Queens sup­port thought it was a goal. There was no con­clu­sive ev­i­dence to say the ball had crossed the line.

The re­sult meant Queens missed the chance to leapfrog Mor­ton but still re­main within touch­ing dis­tance of the play-offs. Ref­eree: Kevin Clancy. At­ten­dance: 1,489.

Pics: QoSFC

Big mo­ment Mor­ton keeper Gas­ton af­ter Dob­bie’s long-range shot.

In­cred­i­ble strike Dob­bie cel­e­brates af­ter his long range ef­fort but the ref­eree ruled against him.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.