Five-star show de­stroys United

Dob­bie scores four as Queens im­press

The Galloway News - - SPORT -

Queen of the South blew away Ayr United in the south west derby on Satur­day.

Once again Stephen Dob­bie grabbed the head­lines with four goals but it was a to­tal team per­for­mance from Gary Nay­smith’s side.

The striker is now on 18 goals for the sea­son and the cal­en­dar has only just turned to Septem­ber.

Al­though he was cor­rectly in the spot­light, Dob­bie owed a lot of his suc­cess on Satur­day to his team mates.

Lyn­don Dykes, who got a hard time last sea­son, threw him­self about and was a has­sle all day while Gary Harkins con­tin­ues to stroll through games. Andy Stir­ling looks a com­pletely dif­fer­ent player from 12 months ago and an­other clean sheet will do won­ders for the de­fence.

The first half was one of the best at Palmer­ston in years. It was made even more re­mark­able given Queens took 10 min­utes to re­ally get into the game. But when they did, they ab­so­lutely de­stroyed Ayr United. With 12 min­utes on the clock, Queens took the lead through the di­vi­sion’s top scorer.

Dykes knocked down the ball to Dob­bie who was able to work him­self into a po­si­tion to shoot and fired into the top cor­ner. Ross Doohan got a hand to it but it was not enough to keep out the ef­fort.

It was just the sec­ond league goal the Hon­est Men had con­ceded all this sea­son.

Just a few min­utes later Ayr con­ceded their third of the cam­paign and sec­ond of the af­ter­noon.

Dan Harvie brought down Andy Stir­ling af­ter 20 min­utes and ref­eree Colin Steven took a sec­ond be­fore point­ing to the spot. Dob­bie stepped up and fired the ball into the bot­tom right hand cor­ner.

Re­mark­ably it was 3-0 and Dob­bie’s 10-minute hat-trick was sealed when he was played in by Dykes and rounded Doohan be­fore pop­ping the ball into the net to send Palmer­ston crazy.

The only real ef­fort Ayr United had at goal in the first half was a Lawrence Shank­land half vol­ley which was fired right at Alan Martin.

Queens as­sis­tant man­ager Dougie An­der­son was sent to the stands for protest­ing the ref­eree’s de­ci­sion to stop the game when the Doon­hamers were on the at­tack.

Af­ter half an hour Queens had an­other chance to go even fur­ther in front. Dykes was brought down in the box by Michael Rose and the ref­eree again pointed to the spot. How­ever, this time Doohan guessed cor­rectly and this time saved Dob­bie’s spot kick.

It was hard to see how things could pos­si­bly get any bet­ter but some­how they did when it be­came 4-0 af­ter 37 min­utes.

This time it was Gary Harkins and the mid­fielder, who had re­ceived pel­ters from the vis­it­ing fans, si­lenced the away sup­port by curl­ing a shot from out­side the box right into the top cor­ner from 20 yards out.

As soon as the ball left his foot there was only one place it was end­ing up.

A scrap in­volv­ing for­mer Queens man Mark Kerr and Michael Doyle threat­ened to boil over but even­tu­ally the stra­mash came to an end.

In the sec­ond half the plan was sim­ple for boss Gary Nay­smith: just see out the sec­ond 45 min­utes and make the af­ter­noon as easy as pos­si­ble.

Ayr United tried their best to get back into the game, but when­ever they were in front of goal they lacked com­po­sure to threaten Alan Martin’s goal.

Dob­bie bagged his fourth of the game with five min­utes to go once again af­ter some neat play from Dykes.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.