Queens crash out of cup at East Fife

The Galloway News - - READER TRAVEL -

Al­though Queens were en­joy­ing the bulk of the pos­ses­sion, they were find­ing it hard to break down a stuffy, well-or­gan­ised de­fence in a home team which looked dan­ger­ous on the break.

With just over half an hour gone, Queens were al­most pun­ished as Scott Mercer was caught on the wrong side of Liam Watt. They did get away with that one but, as they failed to deal with the next ef­fort a minute later, they paid the price when two for­mer Queens play­ers com­bined for the opener.

A first clear­ance was missed by Mercer be­fore Michael Doyle’s poor ball out of the box fell to Pat Slattery who, in turn, found Kevin Smith. Twenty yards from goal, with the out­side of his left foot, Smith sent the ball past Alan Martin into the top cor­ner.

The goal gave them a boost and with Dar­ren Young’s side on a run of six un­beaten games, they looked like a team full of con­fi­dence. With their tails up and fur­ther slack de­fend­ing by Queens, Watt again and Aaron Dun­smore both had fur­ther chances but they only had the one-goal ad­van­tage at the in­ter­val.

Af­ter a de­layed start to the sec­ond half due to a fire alarm within Bayview, Queens came out with more fight and should prob­a­bly have had a penalty within min­utes of the restart. The ball ap­peared to be han­dled in­side the box but ref­eree Barry Cook was hav­ing none of it and played on. With two play­ers sur­round­ing Stephen Dob­bie, Daryll Meg­gatt blocked a shot from Lyn­don Dykes.

And two min­utes later, keeper Brett Long did well to save from Dob­bie. Dykes pounced on the re­bound and the ball even­tu­ally crossed the line but the ref be­lieved Dykes had fouled Long in the process and a free kick was awarded rather than a goal.

At the other end, with Martin well out­side his box, Smith tried a shot from dis­tance and for­tu­nately for Queens the keeper man­aged to re­treat in time.

As Queens pushed for­ward in search of the equaliser, Dob­bie’s right-foot drive was inches past be­fore he cre­ated a chance for Dykes. The big Aus­tralian smashed the ball off the keeper when he should have scored.

It was not hap­pen­ing for Queens and, with just un­der 15 min­utes of the game re­main­ing, their hopes of mak­ing the quar­ter fi­nals of the com­pe­ti­tion crashed the same as the wa­ter did against the nearby har­bour wall when a mix-up between Martin and Cal­lum Fordyce proved costly.

Fordyce tried to make amends and got back onto the line but he could not stop sub­sti­tute An­ton Dowds, who had been on the pitch for all of two min­utes, smash­ing the ball into the net to dou­ble the home side’s lead.

On a poor day for Queens, Martin had to make fur­ther saves from Ross David­son and Scott Agnew to keep it at two. East Fife: Long, Dun­smore, Dun­lop, Wat­son, Slattery, Smith (Court 64), Agnew, Watt (Bell 88), David­son, Me­gatt and Cur­rie (Dowds 75). Subs not used: McDowall, Docherty, Thom­son, McBride. Queens: Martin, Mercer (Fordyce 69), Mar­shall, Doyle, Stir­ling, Ja­cobs, Todd, Dob­bie, Semple, Frizzell (Bell 60), Dykes. Subs not used: Leigh­field, Mur­ray, Nor­man.

Ref­eree: Barry Cook. At­ten­dance: 579.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.